Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I don't like this

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rien, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    http://www.vh1.com/news/stories/1455493.jhtml

I just can't immagine the Who going on without The Ox...

I just doesn't seem right to me.

I wonder who will playing for them.
    No matter who it is I doubt that they will be able to fill John Entwistles shoes.

I just don't like it.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    There's an old saying that goes, "The show must go on."

I think it shows a lot of integrity and maturity on the part of Roger and Pete, to continue on. Plus, the article states that they have the support and encouragement of John's family. I think if his family isn't hurt or offended at the fact that they are still going through with their tour plans, you shouldn't be.

;)

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Pino Paladino will be replacing the Ox on this tour. I don't know how I feel about it... the show must go on and all that, but it's just not going to be the same.

4. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
  5. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    Pinos really good, but I don't see him filling in for the Ox.

And Hategear, you were right. If the family is okay with it, I should be too.

But it just seems so weird without John Entwistle.

On another note, my local rock statiion played 1 hour of Who straight, and kept on getting requests.
    Today has been labled by them as a remeberance day for him. I like that alot. I've heard almost non-stop Who!

6. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, the classic rock station in Seattle did a huge tribute to him yesterday, taking requests for Who tunes for over an hour. They played all of Tommy last night too.

7. MuchMoreMusic has played 'The Kids are Alright" three times already.

8. FNX played three hours of who last night..

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I have to dissent, I think the idea is a good one. Entwhistle's family is behind it, and it's certain that the Ox hisself would approve. It won't be exactly the same, but I think Pino will do an excellent job. It is great music, and it would be a true shame for the passing of the Ox to be the end of the music.

10. I dont like it. It isnt the Who, its just Daltrey and Townshend. Its like if Ringo and McCartney went on tour as the Beatles.
    Jim

11. Well technically it hasn't been The Who since Moon died, but they still have that Who feel so I'm glad that they will keep going.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If John had to be replaced by someone, Pino is a great choice.

13. I agree. One member can be replaced, like Moon, and that was hard enough, but replacing Entwistle is nearly impossible. Those are some giant shoes to fill. Good analogy with the Beatles, too. It's just not the same.

I dunno, replacing one member after a death is ok, Metallica did it and still rocked out for years, but what if Lars were to die, would they still be Metallica?

I was going to see the Who next month for the sigle purpose of seeing The Ox play live. I'm sad that I'll never be able to see one of basses greatest legends.

14. I'm glad they chose Pino. The guy has to be more than just flattered about this. Of course no one can fill the shoes of The Ox but if it's going to be done, they picked a very good person.
    Perhaps in the future they could organize some sort of tribute show and have various Bass legends come pay homage to John.

~Ad

15. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    with the ticket prices they're charging, you know they want that money... i'm sorry, but i think the respectful thing to do would be to say "sorry everybody, it just won't be the same without him"

his family is SAYING they're behind it... but are they? their family member DID just die... i doubt they're in the mood to fight about it (and its not like they have a say anyway)

keith moon was missed personality-wise, but not technical ability-wise..... Entwistle will be missed ability and style-wise... and it won't be the same

to me, carrying on the Who without john is like carrying on Van Halen without eddie

16. Probably a better analogy would be if James or Kirk died... ;) :D
    Of course, if Lars died, I doubt James and Kirk would be able to continue with the band, what with the loss of Cliff, the whole Napster thing, Jason leaving, and James' battle with alcohol.

Back on topic, though, I'm glad Townshend and Daltrey are deciding to stick it out. It shows they have a lot of courage, and love for their lost friend and fellow musician.

No, it won't be the same. But life is all about change, isn't it? All I know, is that I'm going to except this change, because whether I like it or not, it's happened. Take the good with the bad, folks. :)

17. Sounds to me like they made a collective agreement between all parties involved -- Entwistle's family, Townshend, and Daltry-- and concluded that the show must go on. If anyone had a dissenting opinion, they're not showing it and I have to believe what's being said is true so I'm all for it.

I also think they will do just fine with Pino as he is an incredible bass player and I know he'll do what it takes to get a basic version of the vibe that John Entwistle provided.

One thing to consider is we are all bass players who've collectively spent countless hours listening, dissecting, and analyzing John Entwistles bass lines. Sure, we're going to hear the difference and I would wonder if any bass player would want to still see the Who on this tour since it really isn't going to be the real thing. But we also have to understand that we are a small fraction of people who enjoy the band. If Pino can manufacturer even a semblance of what John Entwistle did for the Who, most people won't even notice. Sad, but true.:rolleyes:

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You must be kidding. Keith Moon was a extremely good drummer. His ability lacked nothing and he was every bit as much of a musician as The Ox, Townsend, and Daltry.

19. I think for the Who to carry on straight after John's death is the greatest tribute they can pay him.

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Good call. I'm going to the show when they come through town, and I imagine they'll be rockin' as hard as ever.