Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I don't lke my new tubes....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tecx, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have a Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp (that I use for distortion) that uses four 12ax7's... Well they started to get REALLY microphnic, and noisy... So I went out and bought 4 new Russan Solvtek's, I just put them in... And I was not happy with them at all... I duno... I had to re adjust all my settings, and it still sounds strange... They are good tubes, I tested them... Am I crazy?.. Or did I just get used to the sound of the old ones?... The ones I took out where the original peavey tubes which are made in china... I dunno... :confused:

Alex

[​IMG]

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I don't know, maybe the tubes gotta get worn in???

Uh, and i want that preamp. Where did you get yours? I have been looking around for one a long time.

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    REALLY?.. wow, I didn't think anyone liked them than me for bass!.. Where do you know it from?.. I actualy got it as new old stock from a local store here, for $140!!! But I had to order a footswitch for it (because it is usless without it) and that set me back a bit... But the guys at peavey are great, and on the ball - getting me a footswitch that is like 10 years old and such...

Alex

ps. This thing's crunch chanel is PRICELESS, it has that just right "tube amp being pushed just a little too far" sound... :)

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

i HATE you! That thing just sounded BEAUTIFUL. God i really hate you. I don't know why I can't find one. I played it once, thats all it took. I had all but given up,,, then you post about it. maybe i need to scan ebay again,,,,*sigh*.

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    You should hear one when it it is but through the buffered effects send and return on a Tech21 RBI!!!! :eek: It becomes a bassy monster... Add a ille eq, and a lowpass (before it) - :D

Alex

ps. you have P.M's.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    someone help please?..

Alex

7. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    the thing is with new tubes you kind of have to tun them. o adjust them, i dont know how to say it. but they have to be at a certain setting so that they run not too cold or too hot. have you done this already? (i dont know how to do this, but i got lectured from my amp guy about everything about tubes, just for asking to get new ones for my ampeg)

h says itslike tuning a carburater for your car, still clueless as to what he means...

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    You do not have to make any adjustments when changing preamp tubes. The bias should be checked when changing power tubes.

The Chinese tubes sound much different than the Sovtek 12AX7's. The Sovetk's tend to sound edgy and harsh. The Chinese tubes are a bit better sounding, however, there are many tubes available that sound very good.

I suggest you try JJ 12AX7, EH 12AX7 or Sovtek 12AX7LPS. These are nice sounding tubes that are currently being produced.

Chuck