Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I don't mean to sound so down but...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by balembic, Dec 13, 2003.

1. balembic

balembic

Oct 17, 2003
    Huntington, WV
    I don't mean to sound so down but, tonight I was working on writing a will to decide on who gets what in case the worse happens. Don't ask why, it's just a personal thing that needed to be done. I also won't say what I decided to do with my "estate" but I will pose the question, who gets your axes when your gone? The one that needs it or just a friend, the guitar player or your wife or girlfriend? Maybe it should be put into a trust for the kids?

If you are like me you have an easy time deciding who gets the ranch, but tough on who deserves your bass.

Who would you choose?

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

The person who could benefit from it the most, or the person you care about the most and to whom it would mean the most. I'm sure with such a personal question as this you will get a very wide range of answers. Do what you think is right.

3. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    This is something I've given some thought to. If I left mine to my kids, they wouldn't appreciate what they had and would just turn around and sell them. Who knows where they would end up? That seems like kind of a waste to me.

I've often thought the best thing would be to leave them to a school that still has a music program so they could be a benefit to many kids. Just specify that they are not to be sold but are to be used for educational purposes. Failing that, I would look around in my local area for a bassist who I felt was serious about the craft and was a nice guy/gal and I would just write them into the will. Wouldn't even tell them, I would just do it. Hope this helps.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Easy one for me. My wife and kids are musicians, so they would get all my gear.

-Mike

5. while im still young ive thought about this too...

i think i would give my basses to the special someone who i was with and keep my basses for as long as possible.

...by then the grabbers 'ought to have some amount of memories. :)

also, hope its nothing serious, balembic!! :meh: :)

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm in the minority here who really enjoys my gear, but in the big picture feels they are just tools. I'd leave them to whatever family member was responsible for taking care of my headaches after I am gone, along with the rest of my assets.

I say sell them, makes no difference, and the money would be more important anyway.

7. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I'd leave mine to my brother. He's an incredible guitarist/pianist that has started some home recording and I know my basses would be used and loved by him.

If he happens not to be around when I pass, I'll give them to my kids or local highschool music programs.

8. I think I would half want to be buried with my main bass on my chest.. but I am not sure if I believe in such things... Its a tough call.

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'd leave mine to my friend who plays guitar...he's the only other lefty I know that plays lefty, so it would fit fine...

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'd leave my less-than-valuable gear to the person that's been the most supportive of my music "career" -- my fiancee, Dawn. My fantasy is that if I ever died, she'd learn how to play and finish all of my unfinished songs. Silly, huh?

11. i would donate my gear to talkbass, paul could have an auction or something.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Something along the lines of what I was thinking.

I was thinking I wouldnt want to leave my Valenti, Ibanez Black Eagle, G&L L-2500, Tacoma CB-105, Eden 210XST... etc etc to a school where it would get trashed or family who would probably pawn it all off for a total of $100, but Id like to see it actually get its value moved towards a good cause.

Maybe I could leave it to TB to have it all sold here by people who know whats going on and then have that money put into the purchase of basses (Essex) and amps (Peavey) for public schools.

Id actually probably leave the Black Eagle to a special friend though.

Peace
    Nick

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Eh... Depends...

If it was particularly important to me, I would either take it with me or give it to a loved one... but if they were just there to be there, probably a school program...

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I Will put in my will that freinds and family can have what they want. i mean it has been the biggest identifier of me in my life. however i will put a cluase in that if they do not want them for sentimental purposes that they should be given to the save the music foundation.