1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't 'need' 10's!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Apr 25, 2010.

1. So, i play power pop... think The Ramones meets the The Go Go's, with a huge dose of 50's and 60's rock n' roll.

However, i also play an assortment of heavier genres and over the years i've developed a love for 15's. I have a 2x15 and a 1x15 that can be used alone or combined to let me accommodate any size gig.

Over the past few months, almost every GUITARIST has told me "Dude, you really should get some 10's". It's weird.

Now, i had an Acoustic 6x10 at one point, but i just didn't like them and haven't really given them much thought.

Haha, so yesterday i was hanging with a friend who had 2 cabs he was trying to sell. A Peavey (we think) 6x10 and a Fender 1x18. I bought the Fender... and i'm SO glad i did!!! At practice today i rolled in with an even BIGGER speaker than normal, and it gives one of the best sounds i've ever had, and way punchier than i imagined it could have gotten.

So, nuts to 10's.

Why do you think people, and especially guitarists, would push for 10's? Do any other non-10 users get the same thing? Do 10's players get told "you should get some 15's/12's/18's? Think it's a genre thing (i.e.- you play punk you must be super punchy which means play 10's)?

2. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Why do they say you should get 10"s? Do they give you a reason, or just say so?

Generally I don't play with guitarists who tell me what gear I should buy. Life's too short to play with people that irritating.

3. Never had any SERIOUS bassists I've known who have scoffed at my 2x15's...many are jealous of the price I got them for lol. But I've had a few know-it-all rookies who have made remarks about my rig until they heard it. Play what you like man, I dig punk style and I like modding out my Squier VM or CV basses, I also play an all-tube head as well...you'll run into people that will diss your rig all the time, just ignore them.

Btw, I've played my tube head on my 2x15's and also on my avatar 2x10s with a tweeter...the 2x15's THRASH my avatars like nobody's business. =)

4. They all seem to think that 10's are punchy, and everything else is just bassy. Which is ironic given the instrument i, in fact, play.

I guess it's just ignorance? I mean, while i don't dig em, i've heard super bassy 10's as well as super punchy every-thing-elses.

It's just been weird, i've never come across this mentality, but 6 or 7 guitarist friends (none in my bands, or even HEARD my power pop band) have all said this in the past few months.

5. Lckednloaded

Lckednloaded

Mar 27, 2010
    Big drivers wont lend themselves very well to some styles but if it works for you and your ear stick with it!

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Different strokes for different folks. I use nothing but 10's, and I get all the low end I could ever want/need out of them. I've tried other sizes/configurations of speakers, but 10's are what work for me.

7. Korladis

Did they say so after hearing your rig or before?

I mean, not to knock 10"s, as my friend's SVT-810 is a great sounding cab, but there's nothing wrong with 15"s.

My 15" cab works just fine. It's actually really strong in the mids more than low bass.

Maybe they're just hooking onto gear fads and thinking that speaker size is the biggest indicator of sound?

8. Nope. That's the thing, and why i'm so confused... did a memo go out 2 months ago that said: "Guitarists, tell your bassists to play out of 10's" Like, it's more 'acquaintance' types that have been telling me this.

Haha, everyone who's actually heard me LOVES my set up; bassists AND guitarists.

9. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    sounds like you need to tell the gui**** to piss off and worry about guitar. personally i use 210,115 but couldn,t careless what my gui**** thinks i need.

10. I had a quick convo with some room mates and i think i've figured it out...

I think it has to do with the ubiquitous ideal of Fender Bass+AmpegSVT+8x10 that seems to go with the style of music i play...

That's the best i can think.

ALSO: I'm not knocking 10's at all. I just don't prefer them, personally.

11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I can't blame the guitarists for getting confused~ maybe they have heard a lot of great sounding EBS/Eden/SWR rigs that sounded great that just happened to be using 10's & figured the great sound was a result of that speaker diameter.

12. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I started out in the late 70's with a Peavey 215 Black Widow Cab. I still have it! I've replaced the speakers because amps nowadays FAR exceed the original speaker's rating. I DO have a 210 Cab (Avatar loaded with Madison Knights because one of the Eminences sounded bad) but that's only because I have a two-door Chevy Cavalier. If someone has room for my 215 it goes with, otherwise I just use the 210. If I had a truck and a good back, I would be using the 215 full-time!

Just another random thought,
    X8

13. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    The Ampeg 410HLf's are real bottom sounding. I also use the 215 Fender Pro which costs as much as the 810E. Maybe have the gui****s buy you (2) Ampeg 410 HLF's run them together and you'll be using 10's.

14. I think you're on to something here...

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Try 10s and 18s together. It is an awesome combination.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes you do. Fifteens are tone-sucking muff monsters. (With the possible exception of Bergantino HT115s.)

17. Korladis

I hope this post is a joke.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It is indeed a rare occasion when one of my posts contains no mirth. This is one of them.

19. Korladis

That's bizarre. You really think 15" speakers are incapable of sounding good?

That makes no sense, I always thought you were fairly sensible.

20. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I've got a Berg NV 425 .... and it's got a 15 in it and it really can produce some really good low end thump ...it also has some 10's in it ... never say never !!!!