Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I DON'T NEED ONE do i?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Obsolex, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    ok, i know most of you are better than me here. but i don't wanna brag, i rock at bass. but i wanna get better. and i cant get lessons (don't ask). there is a website called www.activebass.com that i kind of take lessons from online, but i don't know exactly what i should learn to bring my full potential. plz tell me what i need to learn, like arpeggios, i don't even know what they are, but just tell me some stuff i should learn. or need too, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

2. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ya im pretty sure your not as good as you think. I thought i was i amazing when i first started............................but then i realized that i sucked really bad............i still think i think i suck!!!

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    no man, i'm better than everyone at my school. even the ones that have been taking lessons from day one for three years. the thing that is different from me and them though, is:
    1. i can make my own stuff up, i don't need a teacher.
    2. ive heard a lot of people who have/are with lessons
    3. i have rhythem
    i just want to know how i can improve!

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For starters, you can get a teacher.

You should look into getting a scholarship for lessons, there might be some available, if you need financial help.

I first thought that i was a decent bass player, then i realized much i didn't know (dammit jaco!)

I learned some techniques on my own, but they only improved when i got a teacher. My understanding of music opened up more, as i saw what i didn't know. Through lessons, i am able to see a bigger picture, and learn what i need to work on. I also learn new ways for polishing my skills.

5. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    lessons man

i think there the way to go. i feel the same ways as you. (kinda like a mental block)

I think there the fastest way to learn more about bass.....and if i had the money i would take them!

joel

how old are U?

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im by far the best bassist in my school, but I fall short of the previous best bassist in a bunch of ways. How big is your school anyways? Its not hard to be the best of a small group.

1) Plenty of people can make their own stuff up who are quite pathetic musicians. Ive met alot of guys who thought they rocked, but really were pretty lame, they just havent heard what can be done.

2) Lessons and teachers dont make a musician, they just help a developing musician reach his/her potential. Some poeple just arent cut out for it.

3) Some people have rythm, some people dont, but by far the largest group is the one that thinks thy have rythm and really doesnt. Im not saying you dont, but im warning you against being overly self assured.

If you wanna hear what a really great bassist can do, check out Jaco Pastorious, Alain Carron, Jhon Paul Jones(Led Zeppelin), Marcus Miller, or any of the hundreds of basssit that have inspred alot of the members on this board.

Do you play in a band?

I think just as important as a good teacher, playing with a real band is a vital developmental step that must be taken.

Im not trying to piss you off or get into an argument, but you should really check that ego of yours. Maybe you are as bad @$$ as you say, but telling everyone doesnt really do much except irritate the people around you.

Just my $0.02

Peace
    Nick

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh and he's only 2 years and two months younger than me which places him at 15 years old.

Peace
    Nick

8. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    3 thigs
    1. you sound like my guitarist neighbor. Thats not good. The irony behind your words if ya new him.

2. I am the best bassist I know in my area that I and most of my friends have heard(emphesizing heard). Everyone sucks it wasn't that hard so if your decent hell i'll believe your the best in yours cause i dont know yours. My area also has no good drummers but since we also got 500 guitarist, though 95 percent of them suck, theres a few good ones(and a couple real good ones like my bro). Thing is no one takes their instument serious around here. Also around here no one listens to more than four chord straight 16 note pop punk or rap. A white suburban town dominated by rap. It's so odd.

3. I also suggest lessons. You can probably learn most on your own but you'll need a teacher to tie things together and help move you along.

Now on the side note I love looking back to my early days and going "boy, i can't believe i strunggled on that one". Then everyonce in a while now I look back and say "holy frapachino, I can't believe I was able to play that piece" cause its still no peice of pie.

9. Let me help by giving you your first Talk Bass Lesson:

Lesson 1 - Famous Bass Players

1) Jaco Pastorius (not Pastorious)
    2) Alain Caron (not Carron)
    3) John Paul Jones (not Jhon)

There you are.... no charge for that lesson.
    (Don't listen to Nick Man, he's feeding you false info.)

X

(Oh jeez, I know I'm going to regret hitting the "Submit Reply" button. Nick, I'm just toying with you... really...... Peace, bro.)

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Am I the only one who doesn't gauge my talent by whether or not I can outplay Jaco or Stu Hamm?

11. Apparently.

12. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    lol. Thanks for that laugh. :D

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its all good bro.

Just trying to show him that there is a whole realm of bass playing he probably didnt know existed.

Hell, I didnt till a long time after I started playing.

Oh and thanks for clarifying the first two spellings. John's name was just screwed up by the classic slip of the hand typo.

Hategear:

I dont gauge my playing against them or any other player.

I agree that its stupid to gauge you preogress against a virtuoso I just figure if you are gonna say you are better than this many people, you should also consider how many people are better than you.

Your gauge of how good you are should be based onwhat you think of your playing, not what you think of other poeples playing.

Peace
    Nick

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    JWC???

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    After reading this, quelle surprise, when I look at his profile, and lo and behold, we have a fifteen yr old...

Obsolex, what kind of music do you play?

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's rich - coming from a twenty year old ;)

Mind you - ten years time, and I'll probably be bemoaning 30 year old whippersnappers... :eek:

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Wulf

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ouch, That hurt :( :D

The difference between 15 and 20 is way more than five years.

18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, that was hilarious. :rolleyes:

My point was, be the best you can be and accomplish your goals.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah but I think the point is that if you already think you "rock at bass" then how do you set any goals?

I am motivated to keep improving and learning, by the fact that I know how much more, players like Jaco have done with bass - I know how far I have to go.

If I thought I was already "God's gift", then I can't imagine how I would set any goals.

20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    playing the same slap riffs over and over alone in your room does not mean you are "better than the rest" :rolleyes: