Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i don't really miss my tone control...do you?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bikehorn, Nov 9, 2003.

1. about a year ago i took my modded Squier P to my friend's house and we were jamming in his room. well, i turned sideways and my cable got pressed laterally and cracked the pickguard. the shielding held the cracked bits together for maybe 2 weeks, and then it all just crumbled away. i was too cheap/lazy to go out and get a new pickguard so i just stuffed the tone knob under the pickguard(and turned it all the way up) and put the output jack where the tone knob was. i effectively gave it the Mark Hoppus treatment...well anyway, i've been using it like this for a year now and i don't miss it. does anyone else have their bass set up like this?

2. I wouldn't miss a tone control at all on my J, but for my P, the tone control is 100% essential. I play a lot of old blues, etc, and turn the tone all the way down to Thud.

Pulling the tone control out of a passive circuit (and the volume control, too) will deliver the very best tone the pickup is capable of producing. Use switches or pull-pot controls to bypass the pots.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bypassing the tone pot on a J reportedly opens up the sound.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know, I never really used my tone knobs until I bought a P-Bass. Maybe it's the strings I have, but I have to roll off some treble in order to get my desired tone.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    oh man, a P with no tone - that's a one trick pony for sure ... Personally I love the tone control on my passive J's. The bridge pup solo'd with the tone rolled off a bit. That is a vital sound for me. YMMV

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a 2 way tone switch on all my basses.
    full/0.

7. I either have mine on full or 0 (i dont even turn it up on my fretless)

I only have it on full when im "rocking out" to crap-punk that calls for that pick-tone

8. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Boy is my face red! I thought tone was in the fingers! :)

9. Me too.:meh:

[​IMG]
    Treena