1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i don't really miss my tone control...do you?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bikehorn, Nov 9, 2003.

1. about a year ago i took my modded Squier P to my friend's house and we were jamming in his room. well, i turned sideways and my cable got pressed laterally and cracked the pickguard. the shielding held the cracked bits together for maybe 2 weeks, and then it all just crumbled away. i was too cheap/lazy to go out and get a new pickguard so i just stuffed the tone knob under the pickguard(and turned it all the way up) and put the output jack where the tone knob was. i effectively gave it the Mark Hoppus treatment...well anyway, i've been using it like this for a year now and i don't miss it. does anyone else have their bass set up like this?

2. I wouldn't miss a tone control at all on my J, but for my P, the tone control is 100% essential. I play a lot of old blues, etc, and turn the tone all the way down to Thud.

Pulling the tone control out of a passive circuit (and the volume control, too) will deliver the very best tone the pickup is capable of producing. Use switches or pull-pot controls to bypass the pots.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bypassing the tone pot on a J reportedly opens up the sound.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know, I never really used my tone knobs until I bought a P-Bass. Maybe it's the strings I have, but I have to roll off some treble in order to get my desired tone.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    oh man, a P with no tone - that's a one trick pony for sure ... Personally I love the tone control on my passive J's. The bridge pup solo'd with the tone rolled off a bit. That is a vital sound for me. YMMV

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I have a 2 way tone switch on all my basses.
    full/0.

7. I either have mine on full or 0 (i dont even turn it up on my fretless)

I only have it on full when im "rocking out" to crap-punk that calls for that pick-tone

8. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Boy is my face red! I thought tone was in the fingers! :)

9. Me too.:meh:

[​IMG]
    Treena