1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't see what is so wrong with Political or Religious Threads in this Forum...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I feel that talking about these things are good for people because they can share their opinions and beliefs with other posters who might be intrigued by their post. Even if people don't agree with what someone posts, i think they should be allowed to "debate" with the person, but only if it doesn't get out of hand

However, i dont think that it is right for others to bash a person's opinion or belief. I think we can all have civil debates on here as long as we use our head and not get personal. Even if we don't like someone's opinion we can just tell them respectfully, "I do not agree with you, but i see your point of view and i respect it, here's mine..." I know most of you probably don't agree with me and i respect that, but i feel that it won't do any harm as long as we keep it civil and not lose our cool. I know that this isn't the best place on the web to post religious or political stuff, but this is an off topic section and i think we should be able to post stuff unrelated to music just as long as its not graphic or gory or overly sexual. Just my $0.02...

2. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I think you answered a lot of your own questions. There are places to go to talk about this if we want, but not here. Rules is rules and I'm sure there is a good reason for them.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    You're basically stating what we all know and essentially agree with. The problem is that inevitably someone will always get butthurt and the thread will morph into something really kind of ridiculous. I have noticed that the mods will often give some leeway when folks are being cool but far too often the thread goes south fast. When it does, it reflects bad on TB as well as our community.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Reread the last two pages of the thread Pacman just closed. The first few pages were fine and, besides a few little quips here and there, everyone stayed within the realms of discussion. The last two pages, however, had a couple of TB'ers obviously looking to instigate some heated discussion and to get people to lash out towards one another. That's why we can't have those kinds of discussions. It's not that most people can't be respectful and mindful of the rules, it's just that there's always one or two people (and it's usually the same ones every time) who will enter a thread with only the intentions to cause trouble.

5. It is not possible to discuss religion and politics in a civil manner on the internet. Cannot be done, not even worth trying.

6. And that's why there are rules here against political or religions threads. I'm sure the majority of us here can be civil, but all it takes is one, and the next thing you know you've got a flame war on your hands! That's why we don't have them here!

7. slobake

I will say that most people here a very respectful and peace loving.You even put up with me. :D I am really happy to be part of this community. You are right though it only takes one or two to start trouble and I have noticed it is usually the same people.

8. I appreciate the responses guys. I did see the thread about what happened in Scranton, i heard all about it beforehand because my mom told me about it because she lives in Scranton and i live like 20 minutes away from the city. It sure is a real shame about whats happening.

Anyways, I just don't understand why people get all butthurt over a discussion about some political news. I guess i understand why its not allowed on here, i just only wish that people could be more civil with each other over the internet.

9. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    This. Go to any sight where it is attempted. Even discounting the trolls it just doesnt work.

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Shoot, I wish people would be more civil with each other in general.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's why we have comments feeds underneath YouTube videos. Everyone knows that the comments feeds are the Oxford Round Table discussions of the interwebs.

:bag:

12. slobake

Me too

13. +1

To the OP, I too, would like to see people debate problems big and small, but emotion always steps in and POOF, there goes logic.

14. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    This says it all :D

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Sadly, thats the way laws get made. Its always to curb the few who cannot maintain themselves.

16. I wouldn't do it if it were allowed- too much potential for misunderstanding when not speaking face-to-face. I do not want to insult or offend someone over their beliefs- not unintentionally, anyway. :D
    BTW, I give this thread about 20 more minutes max.

17. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I am glad I don't know the majority of fellow TB'ers religious and political views. I think of people differently good and bad when that comes into play. Bad of me? Sure.

18. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    This is TALK BASS, not talk politics or talk religion.

Try using Google, you will find a lot of places that you chat all you want about topics like that.

Heck, I would be happy it OT was shut down completely.

Lets talk bass, bands and music.

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Too many people identify themselves with thier political views. I even rcall Bluewine saying he couldn't be in a band with republicans. Its really ashame. I remember the days when no one would say who they voted for. I wish it would go back to that. Now everyone proudly talks about thier party. Very few people hold my religous beliefs and I am accepting of all kinds of people. My wife was a democrat when we met and now is a republican. I love her no more nor less now.

20. Where would we be without all the Photochop threads?

Doomed, I tell you!! Doooooommmmmed!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.