Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I don't think I like SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rexspangle, Jan 14, 2002.

1. I used to play a swr bass 350 through a goliath jr. 2x10, but I sold the head last week. Since I decided to try a preamp poweramp set-up. IMO it is much more versatile and it is more simple to mix and match cabs (stereo,bridged) use and change different preamps etc. However I guess I jumped on the bandwagon I ordered a Carvin dcm 1000 poweramp and picked up a Sans amp Bass driver DI. I have not recieved the poweramp yet but I did get a few chances to play with my SABDDI. (what everyone says about the SABDDI is true get one) However the scary thing is I much more prefer the sound of the bass driver as an effect through my fender bxr 30 W combo more than my "old" swr "professional" set-up sounded. (however I cannot wait to see how it sounds through my goliath 2x10 -when I get my poweramp I will tell you) For me SWR was much better sounding than the Peaveys I used to play through (please no apples and oranges comments) But the SABDDI will definately be a step up from my swr rig. You may ask what is my point? But this is my point I have spent loads of money and hours of research to try and find the sound I want. And it is insane how much effort can be put into finding "your" tone. I am not there yet but I have realized a few things that I don't like.

So just a question out of curiosity how long/much money has it taken some of you people to get to the point where you are at least satisfied with your sound?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    took lots of hours of practice :-D

and the magic combination of a warwick SSII with an interstellar overdrive.

i was "satisfied" with the tone i got out of my old 1976 ampeg B15. i was pleased with the tone i got out of my bass 350 -> goliath jr & peavey PA speaker. i cream my pants when i hear my current rig cranked up to full stage volume. i got my b15 in 98 i think...got the bass 350/goliath jr in 2000, and just got my IOD/dcm/goliathjr/triad rig complete a few months ago.

still shouldn't have gotten rid of that b15 tho :(

jason

3. Well I guess I shouldn't have said I don't think I like SWR cause I like their cabs and the IOD.

Warwick5S: You have the exact set-up I may have soon. Do you just run your jr. and triad off of a seperate channel on the dcm1000? Thats what I am planning on doing I considered getting just a 15 with the jr. But hey why not spend a bit money more put a triad with it and get an extra 10.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bottomline - I still don't get what I hear in my head but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Really, the $$$ have stayed the same - insane. Only the amount relative to inflation changes. But what constitutes "satisfaction" has changed with technology.

Not to dodge your good question, rex, but it really has changed with what the audience at a given time expects. Fr'instance:

In the late 60's-early 70's, a deep, boomy, "whoomp" sound was all I needed.

As the 70's went on and SS technology established itself, more defined, articulated, bass was where it was at.

In the 80's, it became a wattage war because punch-in-the-gut lows became the rage. The D and the G strings were also finally getting some notice because of fusion rock.

In the 90's, the masses still wanted the punch-in-the-gut lows but also "pretty" sounding, piercing highs. The classic "smile" EQ - scooped mids, boosted highs and lows became a norm. A sort of "studio clarity" was what made for satisfaction.

Nowadays with nu metal and DJ's with 18" subwoofers, it seems like we're almost back to the earlier days with all the detuned/B-string mud that rumbles the floor.

That's a gross over-generalization, but just my experience.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yeah, i run a cab per channel, works great! i kinda wish i would have gotten an 8x8 instead of the triad, but i like my triad just fine.

jason

6. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm gonna have to aggree with rexspangle. I can't stand SWR amps, but I really like their cabinets. I'm definately at the warm end of the tonal spectrum. I have an Ampeg SVT II Pro with an SWR Son of Bertha and an Ampeg SB-12. With the exception of eventually getting another Son of Bertha in the future, or maybe looking into some of the higher end cabs, I can't see wanting to change my set up. I love the sound I can get out of those amps. Of course I'm only 17, and have only been playing for 6 years, so who knows what I'll say 10 years from now.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've been playing for nearly 25 years and I use SWR cabinets.

(I'm very tempted by the Bergantino 3x10, however...)

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I'm contemplating/working on getting the following rig:

carvin dcm2000
    ampeg or swr 410 cabs (ampeg the marcus miller victor wooten disigned ones, SWR the goliath)

SVT or SVP pro pre-amp

well. then of course i have My sansamp bass driver and my bass ;).. I think it'll work for me

9. Some SWR amps are ok. Like the SWR workingman it is ok. But for really good sound I like Eden or Ampeg.

10. Too much. I of course had my beginners stuff... and wanted better tone out of it (yahmaha rbx-260, and a Peavey basic 112). So, to get better tone, i bought a Boss GEB-7. Thought i'd like some effects, so i bought a Zoom Bfx-708 (which broke, and was not worth the money). I thought maybe it was the bass that was causing the problems, so i bought a new bass, fender MIM Jazz std. Still wasnt too happy w/ my tone, so i got a SABDDI. It helped it, but not to my liking. I needed a new amp for obvious reasons (you can only do so much when competing wiht a loud drummer and guitarist, and you've only got 50w.) So i sold the peavey, and went searching for a new rig. EDEN. It was like angel's were singing. But... the bass wasnt the most comfortable thing in the world, and i remembered the amp sounding better when i tried it out, and concluded it was because in the store, i used a much better bass. So... i got a Peavey Cirrus w/ bubinga top. I am now VERY happy w/ the tone i'm getting. Although i could have saved a lot of money in the process. oh well. now i just have a bunch of extra toy's that i never use...

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I like a clean and powerful sound (with the ability to add some growl occasionally) and it took me 3 basses, 3 amps and 3 cabs during the past 14 years to get it. (Compared to other TB'ers this is really not much :D)
    The keywords for me are 'definition' and 'power'.

In the Stingray I found a bass with a very straight and well defined tone which cuts through even on the worst equipment (in situations when I can't bring my own gear) - and if you're doing it right you can get far more sounds out of it than just the one 'Stingray signature sound'

Doubling the power (currently 400W in a not to loud pop-rock band - no Marshall stacks around ;)) helped a lot too.

And finally a cab which can produce serious low end without getting muddy - my Glockenklang 212 does an excellent job here.

Matthias

PS: As my rig is completed (so far :D) I'm looking into getting some effects now. Can't live without any GAS ... :D

12. I had an SWR SM400S and did'nt like it. I do however like my SWR cabs. The amp was too difficult to set up the mid eq. Now I use a Trace head with the SWR cabs, and it sounds really nice, and I hardly ever need to touch the eq. But, I have been through many brands, and spent a bucket load of money to come to that result. Sigh.......

13. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Rexspangle, you're amp set-up seems to be really nice, have you considered your bass being the 'weak' point (not to say that a Soundgear is bad, but maybe just not the sound you like?)

I had a Fender Jazz (USA, '78) before and thought well this is a fine, reputable and kind of 'standard' instrument (and it is for sure) so there can be nothing wrong and I need a better amp. But man - what an improvement this Stingray was for me!!

I really don't want to talk you into a Stingray, but maybe you should just try out some other basses too (if you're not doing so anyway)

Matthias

14. Thanx Matthias :) Yeah you are so right and I am actually considering a new bass. And I am considering a musicman. When I sold my bass 350 the buyer had a musicman, I was like hmmm I don't even know if I want to sell it anymore it sounded pretty good. But I am glad I did I am much more happy with what I have now. My Ibanez Soundgear does not give me the sound I want at all!! and if you could meet my band they would tell you that I complain about it at least 500 times every practice.

However with the situation I was in I needed a louder amp more than a better sounding bass. But I am saving up for a new instrument (if I don't get sidetracked and buy a 4x10 first). Although some may say what is the point of being loud if you sound bad. But although I don't like my bass at all Soundgears aren't as bad as we all make them out to be. For some reason when it comes to amps I have real bad G.A.S. more than anything else maybe it is to be cool who knows -but help me please!!!

Joey