Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I don't think I like the HZ's in my Spector...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Crescent Seven, Mar 16, 2006.

1. It sounds like they are holding something back...I have the J neck pup with the soapbar bridge configuration, EMG 3-band preamp.
    I can tell you this, too. When I switch from the Spector with the HZ's to my P with DiMarzio SplitP pickups, I have to turn the gain on my amp WAY down. The output from the Spector is seriously lacking, and this is with a brand new battery.
    Any suggestions as far as replacing the pups and/or preamp? I love the playability of this bass, and the tone isn't "bad", but it doesn't seem like it's up to it's full active potential.
    Thanks!
    C7

2. Just so you know there is a pickup forum on this site, so that is where this should go...

And bump, I agree with you. I have a Spector Legend 5 and I want new p'ups and preamp put in, I'm just not sure of what to get, so opinions would be nice.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm not a fan of HZ's myself. I had a Spector Legend for a few brief minutes, and thought the top end on the HZ's was HARSH HARSH HARSH.

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    To me, this sounds like there could be a problem with the preamp. Every Spector I've played has high output. I'd call Spector, they are very helpful there.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Swap them out for full active EMGs and an EMG BTS/BTC circuit... :bassist:

6. What's that gonna set me back? Do you have links to where I can buy them? I'm having trouble finding ordering info...
    Thanks!
    C7

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Agreed. I have an NS200Q 6 that I love to death, save for the pickups. Eventually, I'd really like to replace them with better EMGs or even Barts.

The high end is, as you said, way too harsh.