I don't think I like the HZ's in my Spector...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Crescent Seven, Mar 16, 2006.

1. It sounds like they are holding something back...I have the J neck pup with the soapbar bridge configuration, EMG 3-band preamp.
    I can tell you this, too. When I switch from the Spector with the HZ's to my P with DiMarzio SplitP pickups, I have to turn the gain on my amp WAY down. The output from the Spector is seriously lacking, and this is with a brand new battery.
    Any suggestions as far as replacing the pups and/or preamp? I love the playability of this bass, and the tone isn't "bad", but it doesn't seem like it's up to it's full active potential.
  2. Just so you know there is a pickup forum on this site, so that is where this should go...

And bump, I agree with you. I have a Spector Legend 5 and I want new p'ups and preamp put in, I'm just not sure of what to get, so opinions would be nice.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm not a fan of HZ's myself. I had a Spector Legend for a few brief minutes, and thought the top end on the HZ's was HARSH HARSH HARSH.
  4. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    To me, this sounds like there could be a problem with the preamp. Every Spector I've played has high output. I'd call Spector, they are very helpful there.
  5. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Swap them out for full active EMGs and an EMG BTS/BTC circuit... :bassist:
  6. What's that gonna set me back? Do you have links to where I can buy them? I'm having trouble finding ordering info...
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Agreed. I have an NS200Q 6 that I love to death, save for the pickups. Eventually, I'd really like to replace them with better EMGs or even Barts.

The high end is, as you said, way too harsh.