1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't think that I like tubes.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderx55, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I'm a little shocked myself.

I've spent a good chunk of time looking for "tubey" gear that I can afford, and looking with a slightly down turned eye at solid state but:

Monday night the band I'm playing with was in a rehearsal space with the SVT classic on an Ampeg 4x10. I was like, "oh sweet, I can finally try this out in a band situation." That excitement turned into consternation. I couldn't find a workable tone for what I was going for (some tight low end thump for a funky ryan adams kinda thing...can't explain it better than that), and I finally realized the difference having 8 speakers together instead of just four. I just really needed that tightness that I wasn't getting. Also, I came to appreciate my 2x12. I miss that thing, I wish it fit in my apartment.

So, I guess the moral of this story is, you may think you want something because everyone else does, but in the end you realize your LMII is perfect for what you do because you don't play a Pbass and chug 1/8th notes.^

^I'm not putting this down at all, if I found a project like that I would totally jump on it.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    How can you judge tubes amp after your experience with one particular setup?

Have you ever played through a Trace Elliot "Valve" series (Hexa, Quatra, Twin) head? If not, then you don't know the other side of tube amps IMO.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    +1. There's far better tube rigs than the one you played through, it's rare to hear positive reviews of the Ampeg 410s.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    It is? I think Ampeg 410's are pretty good myself, but I like that Ampeg tone so I'm biased.

5. Tubes can have a really sweet punchy,gritty tone. Solid State can often give you more of a thumpin' bottom end but that can be adressed by different speaker set ups. I can relate the following rigs that I have tried in the past.

Fender Bassman 50 and 4x10 cab. It was set up at an open jam with several guitars blasting and it was nothing but mud and barely audible. Seriously underpowred.

Marshall 100 watt and Acoustic 1x18 cab. No lack of bottom end here and loud!

SVT-II and SVT 8x10 cab. Heaven!

6. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Burn him!

7. the OP? LOL

8. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    i went from an peavey mark III to an vintage ampeg setup and it was different and had to adjust to get the right tone, but once i got adjusted...WOW loved it.

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    please don't. :bag:

I understand that you can't judge a whole platform via a single set up, but I think I was just underwhelmed by the experience versus what I expected when I saw the brand. That make sense? Now that I think about it, I have played other tube rigs and walked out saying "gee, I kind of want one of those." I think my whole issue was that it wasn't tight and the tone control was Bass, Treble, and "Super Mid." I actually turned to the guitarist and said "*** is that?"

Just to satisfy my curiosity what's a super mid?

10. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I'll agree and say that you can't alter tube sound as much as SS.

However, I happen to love the unalterable tube sound.

11. fjbass78

fjbass78

Jun 21, 2007
    Indiana
    I think Lefty nailed it. You are probably use to hearing the SS sound. I thik if you had a SVT head (or another all tube head) for a month and a few gigs, you just might change your mind. I went from solid state to all tube to hybrid.

12. So the REAL moral of the story is that this thread is just a roundabout plug for the LMII and that people who use tube amps can only chug eighth notes? :confused:

That's a pretty inflammatory way of expressing your opinion. :eyebrow:

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I've tried loads of tube amps and I too prefer solid state.

14. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Does he float - a sure sign.....burn him, burn the heretic

15. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    The 400+ is an unusually bright, responsive, clean and snappy head for being all tube.... and it's almost too adjustable. When you get a good sound, don't touch it or you'll never find it again!!

16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Just another guy that "likes tubes" here, echoing that you can't judge the entire technology by one amp. The SVT CL is one huge pile of "meh" to me, as are the Markbass amps I've tried. I've played super clear, clean tube amps and mushy indistinct solid state amps. My 37 year old Fender 400PS is virtually free of hum and background noise - you'd be hard pressed to tell it was on if I wasn't playing, even at volume levels that would liquify your innards.

I don't think the OP was intending to slam tube amps, or those who like them, but that does happen once in a while. I really like some solid state amps, and there are tube amps I don't, it's tough to generalize, except for this: tube amps are way cooler. :D

I have never owned a Precision bass, and only chugged 8th notes when I was first learning to play.

17. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hm, not what I meant. Well, it's what I said but, when I was playing it, that was the first sound that I thought would be awesome with it. I play with a couple different bands and if I could afford to have two rigs, I would have that for the bar band I play in. But I needed a crisp attack-type deal that night.

But seriously dude, I have better things to do than make sweeping generalizations about people based on a pretty meaningless attribute that has nothing to do with talent. I didn't think it was inflammatory, nor was it a plug. It's not a Vs. thread, it's merely a "this is what I'm comparing my experience to." Relax big guy. To each his own, I said nothing about what other ppl do.

18. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    good question. I like spaghetti. Now I look like one of those guys that starts a thread to start a fight. I'm going back to work :crying:.

19. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    My journey was similar, but I ended up liking tubes. I used to avoid the TB tube threads because I was completely undecided, and very satisfied with the possibilities of a flexible pre-power rig.

Then Guitar Center, of all places, was housing a '71 V4B. I proceeded to run that to, of all things, an SWR 410. SOLD

I've actually not been able to capture that same growl since. I never thought of combining a tube head with an SWR, but the fidelity of those cabinets really brings out a growl that I enjoy. Not practical in many situations, but definitely a combination I feel has been overlooked.

Don't be ashamed of not liking tubes. You'll have the happiest lower back on TB.

20. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses

Similiar to a super delegate, only sweepable between 250Hz thru 2k

:bag:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.