1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I don't understand how Facebook works...Help!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Jan 11, 2012.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    About a year ago, I created a Facebook page for our band, it was under my personal profile. We've played a few gigs, & now feel confident enough to start getting out there playing.

Today, I took our Promo flyer/song list to a couple bars & told them we have some recordings on FB they could listen too. One of the owners brought me in his office to take a listen, but we couldn't find the page. Seems my friends or friends of friends can find it, but I'm not completely sure.

Ideas?

2. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    Public pages that receive likes are a better option. Personal pages sometimes are unsearchable due to privacy options. Edit your "How You Connect" settings (specifically "Who can look up your profile by name or contact info?") and you're good.

3. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I should add that those settings are found in the drop-down menu and under the "Privacy Settings" selection.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I think youtube links are much better for the kind of demos you are talking about

5. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    I found it, but it was set on everyone...

Our band name is "No Limit" seems when you search, there is hundreds of No Limit's, poker, bands, etc.

6. Even searching for "no limit band" turns up at least 20+ bands with that name. I humbly suggest considering a name change, especially if you are just starting your publicity / booking.

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    yeah, pretty generic name. that's going to kill any search engine. If a name change is out of the question, you're going to have to personally send people the link.

or... make the URL distinctive. you can sign up for http://www.facebook.com/NoLimitRockBand (not taken)

nolimitband is already taken

8. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    yep, that helps.

I created the URL...

No Limit | Facebook

Still doesn't fix the search problem, but at least I can provide a link

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Don't worry about people finding you through facebook. Unless you get a huge amount of likes, you're going to get lost anyway. But as you said at least you have a link to provide people.

10. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    The unique hyperlink is going to help people look you up. It's fairly reasonable to remember, so you should be good from here on out.