1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i don't understand the bi-amp in the 800rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcphockey16, Mar 2, 2008.

1. i got to play an 800rb last night and liked the sound but i'm confused how their bi-amp thing works. 100w dedicated to a hi-amp and 300 to a low-amp...what does that mean? is it supposed to be like a cab with 10's for the hi amp and a 15 for the low amp or does it have anything to do with frequency. i don't know of any cabs that only need 100w to get loud either.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It has everything to do with frequency, and nothing to do with the diameter of the speakers. High frequencies need much less power to "get loud" than low frequencies. GK makes cabs designed to take advantage of the bi-amping function. You can probably use non-GK cabs, but finding ones that are designed in a way that works well with the specific output of the GK bi-amp design may prove to be tricky.

3. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    The size of the speakers CAN be congruent with the response sought (though it doesnt need to be, theoretically, you could run all tens).

Generally, you might chose to operate smaller drivers with the high amp, and larger ones with the low amp. I do. There's good reason to, most would argue.

Also, the low amp is rated 4 ohms, the high amp is rated 8 ohms. The low amp will not make the full rated 300W into 8 ohms.

I run one 410 Hartke cab on the high amp, two 115 Hartke cabs on the low amp to make 4 ohms, and fully drive the amp to it's max output.

There is a knob that allows you to select the crossover point, so you can hear when you find the right spot and have the speakers working at similar efficiency.

4. how does the hartke 410 do on the high amp? that's the setup i wanted to run (hartke 410 and 115)

5. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    You can run a single 115 on the lows, and it was my tour rig for many years (and a bit of an international backline standard, largely my fault), but the bottom amp will only make 200W into 8 ohms, and technically you are beyond the wattage capacity rating of the 155. Larry Hartke always gave me crap for this setup, because of the wattage rating (even though I never blew anything). Finally, he sold me another 115, and now I run two.

[​IMG]

6. is 100 watts enough for the 4x10 cab? how does it sound?

7. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Sounds fine. I love this rig. With one 155 it's great, with two, it's orgasmic.

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Tip: For smaller venues, bring just the 410, and plug it into the low amp, and turn off the biamp switch.

Don't forget: Use the Hartke XLs. I haven't heard great things about the cheap ones. I only run the pro line.

9. alright cool thanks for the info

10. i actually played the 410 transporter and it sounded really nice do you think it'd be much different than the xl?

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've used a Phil Jones cab (all 4.5" cones) which had fantastic low end response, and a few different 15" cabs which had terrible low-freq. response. It's all about the cab design. I would steer people away from thinking about cone diameter having anything to do with frequency, since the cab design so drastically impacts the actual results- and I don't mean just in rare cases, I mean in the vast majority of real-world cases.

12. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005

Tell it to BOSE, they clearly have a sympathetic ear.

Me likes big cones. Big cones sound'em good. Have big balls. Me likey.

YMMV.

13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    YES. From all that I have heard, the Transporter is not up to the pro standards of the XLs. I have never tried them, just telling you that from what I've read, the XLs are pretty universally liked and the TP is pretty unsiversally panned. It's up to you, but this is what I hear, and I know personally the XLs are legit.

14. that makes me want to play the xl cuz the transporter sounded good