I don't wanna be in Widespread Panic, but.......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lneal, Aug 7, 2002.

1. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    (Kinda long.)

I have an opportunity to be in a Widespread cover band.

Go ahead and get the laughter over with!

OK, now, I'm not a "Spreadhead"; hell I had never even heard a Widespread song until I started learning these for audition. And the guys in the band aren't really fans either, but they like the creativity (and the money!) I didn't think I would like it but wanted to try anyway. So I learned 12 songs, went and jammed with them last night and......damn........I had a blast! It was very free and uninhibited. Nobody said "man, you didn't play that just right". They really dug my playing and my tone, and the fact that I can jam. These are all guys I have known for years and they are all very cool, mature and quite good! They told me I have the gig if I want it. Don't mind if I do!
    They have been out working for about a year and have a good buzz happening here in the southeast. They also have some important booking agents behind them; 2 of the area's heavy hitters. And plenty of work scheduled in nice rooms. Did I say nice rooms? Unbelievable!

What's the point of all this? Well, I am happy about it and wanted to spread the cheer. I'm usually such a grouch! I was wondering if there are any other "jam band" bassists here and your thoughts on this. Oh and any tips are welcomed.:cool:
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Congrats, Ineal. Widespread Panic's an awesome band, IMO, and since they are a jam band, straying away from the song formats probably won't hurt the music in the least. My little group is pretty much a jam band; even when we do write songs, there's almost always a section in them where we just pick a few chords and jam out for a while. That's what playing music's all about; putting YOUR creativity into something, even if it is other people's songs.
  3. Yeah, Ineal. Congrats! The group of guys I play with currently jam quite a bit. My favorite thing about jamming, either during a song or just riffing out, is that music is being "created" and not just regurgitated. Nothing is more exhilarating than going into a jam in the middle of a song "live" in front of an audience. I think it's cool to let an audience witness the act of creativity on a spontaneous level. Even though it may not be for everyone, I personally enjoy it, and I know others do too.

Again, congrats!
  4. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Thats awesome, Widespread Panic is a great band.

My band jams a bit, Im trying to get them to jam more, but the drummer doesnt listen to jam band stuff and the guitarist is really uncomferable about his skills (even though he fricking rules)
  5. My band jams a bit, Im trying to get them to jam more, but the drummer doesnt listen to jam band stuff and the guitarist is really uncomferable about his skills (even though he fricking rules)

Sounds a lot like my band. Although my current band is more punk-oriented, I am a HUGE Spreadhead and am always looking to jam, but my drummer also doesn't listen to jamband stuff. My guitar player, OTOH, basically learned to play while jamming along to Phish recordings, but is currently in a strictly song-oriented phase so we don't do much jamming as a unit. But he knows the drill, so when I get my way and we get to take a song out, it SATISFIES!
  6. thats awesome! persoanlly i havent heard much WP music but from what i heard its bearable!
    peace& plaid
  7. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Speaking of widespread, Houser died today. I'm not really a fan, but it's such a shame. I think he had Lymphatic cancer.
  8. I heard the news about Mikey yesterday. It's still such a shock, even though his illness (pancreatic cancer) was known to be terminal for some time. He and his bandmates have been a huge musical influence on me, and even though I didn't know him personally, I have a horrible empty feeling inside.

Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.
  9. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Just thought I would give an update. Well, we have rehearsed and rehearsed and I do my first gigs this weekend:

Friday @ The Highlands in Auburn, AL
    Saturday @ The Soul Kitchen in Mobile, AL

Any TB'ers who are in those areas, come by. I'd like to actually meet a TB'er in person! (Or not?) If anyone should want to check us out, the itinerary is posted Here
  10. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Wow! Playing in Space Wrangler is a lot different than anything I've ever done. I have done 4 shows and I like it. The audiences are very warm, appreciative and responsive, and not one jackass has hollered "Skynyrd"! The Spreadheads are really hardcore fans too. Its almost like we are doing originals. (Almost).
    Speaking of which, we will be writing in the coming weeks and maybe will have some of our own stuff to put out there.
    Funny, though, everyone we play for assumes that I'm a huge Dave Schools (WP's bassist) fan, and that I must know everything there is to know about him. While I do think he's a pretty good player, very well suited to WP, I don't know much about him and frankly don't really care to. But I have to play along. Funny how people think!

On a different note: I've been a little upset with TB lately, posting rebellious stuff, but now I am chilling out. So, I am posting something positive. Just in case. Thanks.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sounds like a good time to me.

I remember hearing the 1st time I heard "Coconut" & I thought "...that's kinda sounds like my s***".
    That was roughly 10 years ago, though. ;)

Don't ya love the Skynyrd/"Free Bird" requests(?)?
    ...I ever tell you how one band I was in Disco-fied "Sweet Home Alabama"? We played the tune somewhat verbatim until the chorus & then "Mr. Octave bass" entered along with the typical disco drum beat. We used to tell who made the request, "Be careful what you ask for". ;)

12. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    My WP faves so far are "One Arm Steve" and "Pleas". "Thought Sausage" is cool with that odd figure on the beginning that keeps coming back and gets twisted up in the middle of the song. Gonna have to brush up on my soloing though. No shortage of those!
    It doesn't hurt that Schools plays that cool Modulus Q6 through an Eden rig either! (Well I don't know much more than that about him. Really.)

One night a long time ago this jackass kept hollering "play some Skynyrd". I told him that we were learning some Skynyrd but the 8-track tape broke! He left us alone!:D