I don't want diabetes.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    And stuff. Cause like.. my sister is 19... overweight... not "fat" at all, but overweight... and she has been diagnosed...

so like. i dont want it.

So I'm improving my freakin lifestyle...

Here is my usual meal plan:

Breakfast- Pop Tarts
    Lunch- Turkey Sub Sandwhich
    Dinner- Cereal or mac and cheese or quessadillas..

My plot is to not eat meals as much... just snack on small things throughout the day.

Like, bring baggies full of carrots or something to munch on in between classes and such...

I'm drasticly reducing soda...

But i need help with what to eat that i have laying around so i wont have to ask my mom to go get me...

Fruits and such in the morning?

Beef jerky? (Real jerky, not slim jim type shnit)

Nuts? Trail mix?

HELP ME I DONT WANNA BE DIABETIC..... and i need to lose my man boobs anyways.
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IIRC Type 2 diabetes is thought to by caused by obesity. The risks associated with obesity are far greater than just diabetes (ie heart disease etc) - therefore your main goal should just be to be healthy. If you have a moderately healty diet (ie no need to be dieting etc) the risk of developing diabetes is low. However if you are already overweight and want to lose weight, then you will have to go on a diet and exercise more.

Nick Man (I think) probably knows a lot about this because IIRC he is diabetic - however im not sure if he has type 1 or type 2.

BTW I think a lack of sleep can manifest the same symptoms as type 2 diabetes...FWIW
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Quit worrying, pansy.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I keep hearing really good things about wheatgrass juice. My roommate has a shot a day, that he gets from the local smoothy shop. He's in pretty good shape, I dunno how much the wheatgrass has to do with it. But one of the characteristics of wheatgrass is that it acts as an appetite suppressant, So, that might be something to look into.
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yeah wheatgrass tastes so bad you dont want to eat anything else for a while after eating it :D
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have type II diabetes and it is a combination of diet and genetics. If you want to begin a prevention program, start by visiting your doctor and maybe attend some of the education classes that your sister will probably be attending. The first step is to get educated!
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Pretty much.
  8. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    All true, Mark.

Type II, or non-insulin dependent diabetes, used to be a disease of middle-age. But with obesity increasing among children, it's becoming more commonly diagnosed in young adults. Unlike Type I diabetes, it IS directly related to obesity, which causes insulin resistance. When your body can't properly utilize its' natural insulin, blood sugar rises.

Mike, the answer is simple. Or at least it SOUNDS simple. BURN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU TAKE IN, and you will lose weight. Don't become obese, and there's little chance of developing diabetes. Ditch the Mac and you're on the right track :). Every time you reach for a 150 calorie can of Coke, remember that you must walk 1 mile to burn 100 calories.

You can get copies of ADA diets at your doc's office, or contact the American Diabetes Association. Good luck.
  10. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ok, I'm diabetic and here's what you need to avoid it:
    1. Exercise
    2. Stop drinking soda with sugar
    3. Exercise
    4. Don't be a pig
    5. Exercise
    Top that of with exercise, you should be good.
    Oh yeah, trade the poptart for oatmeal.
    Don't eat much sugar.
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I'm at high risk for Diabetes. My mom has it, both of my grandpa's had it too. For the past few years [i'm thinkin rather late than never] i've been cutting back/cut out soda and have been watching what i eat a bit better. I'm trying to eat better/live a healthier life style since it has benefits beyond just reducing odds for diabetes. :)

That's all
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey Mike,

As mentioned earlier, I am Diabetic.

I have Type 1 (juveile) diabetes and the type of behavior you are mentioning sounds like a preventative for Type 2 (adult onset), but since your sister is 19 and not huge, there is a good chance that she has Type 1.

Type 1 is typically a genetic disease, but sometimes it just happens as is the case with me since we can find no history of Type 1 diabetes in my family. Its probably just a mutation that showed up in me and will be passed on. Its a condition where your pancreas stops producting the hormone insulin which your body needs to metabolize sugars, and carbohydrates (which break down into sugars). As a result, you have to take shots of insulin or get it into your blood some other way. Unfortunately it cant be taken via pill since the body's digestive juices would destroy it.

Type 2 diabetes is a genetic disease that is often trigerred or aggitated by a bad diet and obesity. Just because you dont have a history of Type 2 doesnt mean you can eat all you want either though. Its a condition where your body stops accepting the insulin your pancreas produces. Its often treated with pills which help your body use the insulin thats already there, but sometimes insulin injections is the way to go.

My suggestion:

Eat better and walk places. Park at the edges of parking lots, dont wait for a ride if its a walkable distance, instead of hanging out around the house, go for a walk with friends.

Drink diet soda instead of regular. Basically 0 calories in <b>any</b> diet soda. Lay off the pop tarts. I cant remember right off the top of my head but its either about 75g of carbohydrates in 1, or 2 pop tarts and a lot of sugar. Im pretty sure thats in 1 which is a huge amount. Imagine two and a half sadwhiches being stuffed into one of those things.... yeah, thats the equivalent. Try to incorporate vegetables into your diet. It might not sound too apealing right now, but with time you'll learn to like the way they taste better than a lot of other things and it a alot easier to be creative with them and come up with new things.

Keep away from things with a lot of fat and sugar. Carbs should be taken in moderation as well since they just break down into sugar once they are in your body. Beef jerky will not be a good idea since its usually high in fat. Try to get your mom to buy healthier foods for everyone. It will really help your sister adjust to her new life style. She will need help.

Even if its Type 1 diabetes and you dont put yourself at an apreciably greater risk of contracting it by keeping your habits, its best to eat healthy. You will feel better and look better. If you do get diabetes it would be nice to already be in good shape and in good habits.

One thing about diabetes that I think a lot of people dont understand is that its a full time disease. Its not something you take a couple of pills for and get on with your life. Its something that you have to constantly monitor and plan your days around. Good luck to you, your sister, and your family.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    An apple is even quicker than pop tarts.

Toast takes just about as much time.
  15. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Do Atkins like me. It's awesome.
  16. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

You're gettin' a lot of good advice. Hope you're using it.

In particular, I think, lbanks, teprodic, and folmeister have given you excellent advice. I was diagnosed Type II a little over a year ago and manage with oral medications (not insulin shots), diet, and exercize. For me it was more a matter of when I would get it, not if. Both my parents are Type II and I have a niece that's Type I and has to self inject three times a day. She's 11. That's where you don't want to be.

One of the major factors that led to my onset and eventual diagnosis was my adhering to two common myths about fruit juice. Myth #1 was that if it's natural it's good for you. Myth #2 was that fruit juice is all natural. Fact is many juices (grape juice and apple juice in particular) have a significant amount of sugar added. I was drinking grape juice like it was water up until my diagnosis. My doctor all but smacked in the mouth when I told him that.

As for that "gotta have because of my schedule" Pop Tart...Pitch it and get some sort of a breakfast bar that's lower in carbs. They're everywhere in the grocery stores, so I won't even start listing brand names. I have not even looked at a Pop Tart since my diagnosis. They are loaded with empty carbohydrates. Realistically, though, having a bowl of cereal or a bowl of oatmeal might add a whopping 5 minutes to your daily regimen. That would be 5 minutes well spent.

Best wishes to you and your sister,

17. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    ya... one thing is... being health feels better and thats why i think you should do it... Being worried all the time gives you lots of stress which is NOT good for your health...

Just do it for your plesure... thats all... i've been fit and i've been fat bastard... fit feels better and more fun...

I also known a very thin person who has diabities so... :D

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    no thread asking for advice can be complete without the suggestion to "check out Avatar". :D

19. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    ask your sister for a copy of the diet her endocrinologist has probably given her, and follow that.

add exercise, and you will be doing yourself a favor. to back up my suggestion, make an appointment with her endo, or your gp, and give them the lowdown of your family history as well as your concerns. if you ask for a plan of attack for prevention, they should be able to help you. and you can use your sisters glucometer to check yourself whenever you are "feeling funny" to see if you are running high.

extra things you can do:
    1. become vegetarian
    2. eat organic
    3. layoff alcohol
    these come down to personal choice, but they are helpful. i am not going to say why, as that may start debate, and is involved. do some research.

nationally registered paramedic (retired)
    grandmother, mother, aunt, and wife have adult onset diabeties.