I don't want to be in Spinal Tap :(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Manitou, Aug 6, 2002.

1. I found myself a decent band. The guitarists are talented and we're playing all original stuff and get this: I like it!

Problem is, the drummer couldn't keep time if he had Big Ben surgically implanted in his rectum... He claims to be a "jazz" drummer. I'm not a drummer by any means, but I didn't think that freed you from helping the bass player keep time :p

Guy's also got an attitude problem. Couple that with marginal skills and it equals problems all around.

He blows off practice the last two weeks and the three of us are fed up. My nephew's been drumming since he was a wee lad, so I called him up and asked if he'd like to sit in.

Damn, the boy has chops. He and I were locking in with each other almost from the beginning and it was bassist's Nirvana. He even had this guitar lick that he'd had in his head for a while. He showed it and one of the guitarists picks it up and runs with it, and I work out a bass line, and the other guitarists starts doing a vocal groove, and voila, he comes up with lyrics on the spot and we've got a kick ass new song!

I don't know if I believe in magic or not, but I'm sure I witnessed it that night. Everyone was high from the energy we were all creating.

Well, my nephew got himself hooked up with a real domineering... I can't say it. She tries to control his every move, so the short of it is that we found a perfect fit, and he can't play with us.

We've got four weeks until our first show and we're basically drummerless.

A new guy at work has been beatin' skins for about 8 years and was very interested, so I gave him a disc with some songs on it and will talk to him further tomorrow. Wish us luck, please.

I thought bass players were hard to find... :-(
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i hear ya, man. it's so hard to find a good stable line up.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Good luck bro. Trust me, I've been there. We lost one drummer because he joined a cult. :eek:
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Here's a tip for you, chuckie:

If you ever go to your ex-drummer's house for dinner, stay away from the yogurt.:p

Hey, Manitou, good luck straightening out your band situation.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Drummers are hard to find, i found one thats awesome, but i'm trying to find a good guitarist, and the drummer is a bonehead and asked this stupid pop punker to play with us, also said my BROTHER can sing while we jam.... freaking,,,,
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Man I thought I had it hard.. I still have my drummer but he is a huge pot head... he doesn't blow off practice... but man he is an odd man.. but he is a sick man on the drums...

OTOH... my guitarest sister started dating this guy and joined his cult, went out to california and his parents spent $15,000 getting her back...
  7. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    I have a friend (Amazing guitarist) one thing though he's got the worst case of stage fright. I found an awesome drummer too, but he's already in a band.
    I'll tell you something, if you can find some good musicians STICK WITH EM'!!!
  8. LMAO!
  9. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    our drummer is almost completely deaf, AND wears earplugs.

he says it makes it easier.

10. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    He's a panty-waist.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Funny thing is, he quit the band for the cult, and quit the cult after we signed our major label deal. We're still all friends. We were on tour, and at soundcheck for the last gig in Athens, Ga., he goes, "This is my last show with y'all. I'm serious about Jesus."
    I guess not.
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    No, you go get your nephew on the drum stool. Hell, (pardon the language) if I would have found a great drummer I woulden't let some whiny ho' prevent him from playing with me! Accept no substitutes! :mad:

(BTW, the 'bass horoscope: Scorpio' in latest BP said that "somehow, you always end up getting what you want, one way or another" - I guess that suits this post!)
  13. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    We once had a drummer under the control of his girlfriend. She would tell him he couldn't go to important stuff, like studio time that had been booked weeks in advance. He had no life without her. My singer tried to explain to him that this wasn't normal and gave him some pamphlets on spouse abuse. Of course all that stuff is written as if the male is the abuser. The drummer got offended and quit.

I think maybe some guys (and gals) like/want/need someone to tell them what to do and where to be when.
  14. Thanks, fellas. Good to know I'm not the only one, I guess.

I wonder how much a professional hit would cost... :)
  15. $20.000 U.S. half up front, half upon completion. Address and photo of mark required. Extra $2000 for any specialties, such as making it look like an accident or a robbery.

Just a wild guess of course.

:D ;)
  16. need a drummer, eh?
    i've got two fer rent up here.
    peace & plaid
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Don't go the professional hit route. The hitmen ALWAYS turn out to be undercover cops. :D
  18. ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    i think any decent musicians are hard to find here in tucson.
    well, in my age area and 'scene'
    everyone plays guitar
    everyone plays bass
    everyone play drums
    yet 1 out of 10 can possibly keep time, or even own equipment.
    we stole our drummer from 3 other bands
  19. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Tha's right!

..I'll do it for travel expenses and a 5-string fretless Mike Tobias :D And that's a lot cheaper than what Gunnar is aski.. erm, guessing ;)
  20. The professional hit thing was merely wishful thinking (note to self: .cc to Lawyer just in case!).

Semi-good news... He can at least make the first two shows we have booked. He really wants to do it, so maybe he can grow a spine between shows :)