I don't want your stinking t-shirt

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I don't want a t-shirt with the company logo saying how much I am appreciated. I already have enough pajamas.
    I don't want a worthless email award from someone I never met telling me how valued I am.
    I don't want an award telling me how valuable I am from my boss who doesn't reply to my emails and gets annoyed every time I try and talk to her.
    I don't want cute insincere videos by our upper management telling me how valuable I am.

What do I want?

A manager that actually knows what I am doing and understands that assigning me more projects than I can complete is not a good idea.
    An organization that gives us more than lip service so that all the good employees will stop leaving the company.
    Resources to do my work.
    I want my company to hire a few people to backfill those that left so everyone that works here is not stressed out.
    I want "respect in the workplace" to be more than a slogan.

But it is doubtful that any of that will happen. But I will get a t-shirt, a cup of coffee, and a bagel. Whoopee!

I am generally a very optimistic guy. I will continue to work hard for our clients and my co-workers but I have about reached the end of my rope.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    blue4, JLY, Goatrope and 7 others like this.
  2. Yango

Yango Suspended

Would you like fries with that?

3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    What you want is a job in Denmark!
    Many American companies do not possess the qualities you describe.

(edited for embedded disclaimer - ymmv)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    P-oddz, kesslari, Rocker949 and 2 others like this.
  4. slobake

Why I oughta ...

murphy, bholder, Joedog and 2 others like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Lighten up Francis.

hondo4life, Pilgrim and Mktrat like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Life is too short. If there is ANYTHING you can do.....even for less money....go do it.

I have made more money than I currently make. But every time I think of trying something different, I take a look at how little stress I deal with on the job. That is worth more than money.

Can I have the T-shirt? I want to feel valued....and the coffee would be cold by the time it got from West to East. :D

Seriously, I hope it works out for you either way.

viper4000, 47th Street and slobake like this.
  7. slobake

Not going to happen, not here on the job anyway. My company has surveys and wants my opinion in meetings. I will continue to speak the truth.
    BTW, who is Francis?

J-Bassomatic and dreamadream99 like this.
  8. slobake

Yup, that's all I'm saying for now.

two fingers likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Blanket statements are always like blankets. And all blankets are very blankety. Every time. 100%

I have everything he listed at my job. It is a large company.

pcake, viper4000 and slobake like this.
  10. slobake

The really sad thing is that my company used to possess those qualities. Things have gone really downhill in the last two years.

11. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The world does not operate on such absolute premises.

I work for an American company and we are treated with respect and also materially recognised for our worth in ways large and small. Our company is more like a family than a business and turnover is extremely low.

Yes, companies that care about their customers, employees, the environment and civic responsibility do exist in America.

viper4000, slobake and Stewie26 like this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If you really mean it, tell the people who can make the change.

J-Bassomatic and Joedog like this.
  13. slobake

I have. I think upper management doesn't like it when they ask questions and I am in the room. The other problem is that upper management has been a revolving door of late. I have lost count of all the people in upper managment who have come and gone in the last two years.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I know the feeling buddy.
    Seems like more and more companies are giving away fluff instead of really investing in employees.
    Then again, I know there are some people who love those kinds of freebies and would work twice as hard to get a $25 Starbucks gift card.

-Mike

15. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Appreciate you have a job and shut up!

16. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    He meant "would you like TNC with that?"

17. slobake

May you go and have and enjoyable session of self love making.

18. Slo, I had those problems before I retired. I don't think upper management knew what we did for a living. We underlings were just employee numbers to them. I have/had no idea how they thought. Our local property in the corporation was sold right before I retired. It was the greatest revenue producer in the company, yet we seemed to be the "red headed step child" ( no offence intended to red heads or step children) when it came to improvements, pay, or bonuses. Good luck with your situation.

slobake likes this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Once I complained to the company owner about how his son acted at work. His son was my boss & he'd go skiving off from work & leave me behind to finish up jobs :sour:
    The owner said "That's what we pay you for, 40 hours is 40 hours!~".

slobake likes this.
  20. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Well thank you. I have a few things that make it most pleasurable.

Nashrakh likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.