I doubt there is an endorsement deal coming...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millard, Jul 18, 2005.

1. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    ... but I thought it was kind of cool anyway: http://birdsongguitars.com/index.htm.

This is Birdsong Cortobass #002, the first one sold to the public. I'm awaiting arrival of the first Cortobass GT (yes, I paid for both of them).

I'm taking my 15 minutes any way I can. :)

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I like them (based on how they look). Congrats. Post a review.
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yes absolutely post a review, but this is in the wrong forum.

This would go better in [BG] Basses...
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Nice basses but i don,t like short scale basses :scowl:
  5. I absolutely love the look of those basses! I think they give off this great vintage vibe, but I bet it sounds very modern... in a kick ass way.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That is a really sweet looking bass. Congrats and please get on with the review :D
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I love the headstock. I'm always a sucker for that shape.
  8. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    +1 on the never gonna play a short scale. Can't stand 'em. 34" is the shortest I go.

9. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Please post reviews. I'm a big shortscale fan (love my 30.75 Alembics) and I've been curious what these basses are like since I first saw them mentioned here a year or so back.
  10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Cool, they look a lot like U S Masters body design. Only problem is I saw no mention of a 5 string model even a 6 would be cool.
  11. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    I did a review a while back. It's mentioned in this thread. I posted it to the reveiw section here as well.

Thanks for your comments. I really dig short-scale basses. For my smaller hands they make sense and make playing much more comfortable. My Corto GT is being sculpted from a gorgeous piece of Texas mesquite. I've never seen figure and such beautiful markings in a piece of wood.

12. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    I'm pretty sure Scott talks about this on the Birdsong web site some where. That fat B string really needs the extra length to sound good and he just hasn't figured out a way to make a 5-string that would be worth building in a short-scale.

However, if you wanted 5, but with a C string as the 5th, that might be doable and he isn't afraid of custom projects. I won't rant on here, but I have nothing but great things to say about the customer service during the entire experience of having a bass built for you.

13. they look interesting...i'm not a fan of that upper horn though.
    i listened to the sound clips, and they are fine, i wasn't too impressed with the sound, but also keep in mind that i am not looking for that sound! but if it works for you, do it! :)
  14. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    But that upper horn is crucial to the instrument's overall balance. It truly is one of the best balanced instruments I've ever played. Unlike a lot of basses, especially a lot of short-scale bases, there is no headstock dive or pull, no need to keep repositioning it or holding it up.

I'm not sure whose sound clips you listened to, but if you listened to mine, I think I'd redo them. Turned all the way up, the pickups distort just a bit -- not a bad thing as it just adds to the sounds you can produce locally, but it may give the wrong overall impression.