Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I doubt this exists but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psi, May 11, 2005.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Does anyone know of a 5-string bass that has an aluminum neck? (And is preferably headless and 32" scale?) lol.

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Aluminum? Not that I know of. The only synthetic material used (widely) for bass necks is Graphite. Status Graphite makes basses like that. 5 strings with no headstock, but not sure about 32" scale.

Why so specific?

-Eric.

3. Travis Bean made aluminium necked basses but none were 5 stringers or 32" scale as far as I can remember. Never played one but heard one used live and it sounded amazing. Apparently very heavy though.

4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Any particular reason you're looking for an alum neck when so many great graphite neck basses exist? I have an alum Kramer 8-string, and let me tell you how much of a pain it is to keep it in tune - even if only strung with the four bass strings! Seems like every little change in room temp (or even setting it down for a tune and then picking it up again) will cause it to go sharp/flat depending on whether it got warmer/cooler. I have totally written it off for any kind of studio work, which is too bad as it has a rather unique tone to it.

R