Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Drilled my Warwick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

There was so much talk about the neck dive. I finally just got out my drill, and put another hole about 3" above the strap button and moved the button up.

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    And....

Did it work?

3. Rockbobmel

Yup. I also assembled a straplock and 1" spacer to the horn button to extend the strap over the 14th fret. I may also get a set of Hipshot ultralight tuners.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Now Patent the Idea, and License it to Warwick!!
    :)

Or just send them an E-mail for Free, and help all the people for Free.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good going, Bob! Is it still a little neck heavy, or did that cure it?

Off topic - Luis, haven't seen you around much lately.

6. Rockbobmel

It makes the bass cradle better, along with he extended horn strap.

I went to the Hipshot site also. They said that the ultralights are 20% lighter. To simulate the difference, you take one key set out of five and thats the difference. I could tell if I have the bass angled up (Holding some weight), but holding it out straight, there was not noticable change in handling. I don't think I will change for now, unless someone will let me trade mine in. I don't know how much Ultralights are.

7. Rockbobmel

I didn't think first.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hi Embellisher!
    Yeah, I have been off for some time... (Playing the Warwick) , studying and working. Thats why, but Im getting up to date here.

9. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I did the same thing some time ago with my old Thumb n/t 5. I even went for the Hipshot Ultralites and didn't find that the $100 i paid was worth keeping so I sold the tuners for $60 and bought some instructional books. So, I wouldn't worry about them. Later, Ryan

10. Rockbobmel

Did you extend the front strap button?

I'll switch to Ultralights if I find a buyer for the Warwick tuners.

11. my 86 thumb n/t balances better than my 01 thumb b/o did. even though i believe the 86 neck itself is prob heavier. the 86 pre jack bruce era bass has the rear straplock @ 4" above where the newer thumb is. and i gotta check cause i know the body is slightly different also on both basses, the ones that are labeled jd on the truss adj are the early ones.....i think the upper bout on the 86 is possibly longer,..if i still had the b/o id spec it out.

12. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No, didn't try the extension. I actually went for flush mounted straplocks(talk about drilling). Also, the Ultralites didn't look as cool as the Warwick tuners( they didn't match the shiny black hardware on the rest of the bass( more like a satin finish instead of glossy)).