Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I dropped my bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Flash, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Johnny Flash

Johnny Flash

Jan 2, 2004
    The strap came off and it hit the floor pretty hard. It still plays, but the paint is all cracked and there a crunk missing. It's got a luthite body. Is there any way to fix it? I'm freaking out here.

2. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    hey i just dropped mine too

3. Thats why straplocks were invented ;)

Sorry to hear about the bass though! Hope you can do something for it.

My strap used to come off mine too, luckily I was always quick enough to catch it, but then I got straplocks and it's all good now.

4. *locks his down* This shall not become a trend !

Sorry to hear this guys. Hope you get them repaired :)

5. better get out the super glue!
    or you can do what i do. don't fix it and call 'em battle scars!
    Charlie

6. I'd leave as-is unless its going to affect the playing of it at all or could cause long-term damage over time. Like superbassman2000 said, battle scars!

7. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I drop mine all the time, but it never dents, or scratches, or chips...And it still plays good too.

8. Joey, I'm guessing when you drop it (and for what reason DO YOU drop it?) it is on something soft?

Johnny, did you drop it on a hard surface or something? Also, you might want to look into getting some straplocks to save your bass, and basses to come, from dropping and getting damaged via the strap coming off.

9. thats what you get for jumping around with a plastic bass;)

10. owned :p

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I always needed locks on my Fender P, but on my Conklin, my strap has never come off. I don't use strap locks because the strap buttons are well placed enough to where I don't need them.

I did drop my Ibanez GSR200 a long time ago. Then I sold the piece of ****. ;)

12. I still got my GSR200 :D The main reason I would drop it though was because the holes in the strap had become so stretched it didn't fit over the strap button as snugly as my new camo strap did over it. But I got straplocks so it's extra secure now :D

13. hey...hey,watch it.

14. hey Tyler, it looks as if we both have fretless gsr200 basses :cool: I have since upgraded but its a good beginner. I have a few " battle scars " as well.

15. I don't drop my bass...I can even jump off my bed and she won't drop.

I have it medium/high however meaning I am more in control :)

16. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I've never had any damage from dropping my basses. However, one time while playing the strap button on my ibanez decided to rip itself free from the body and THEN the bass fell. I had thought I tore the strap until I noticed a chunk of wood missing from the top horn... :meh:

I should get that fixed one day, lol.

17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Same thing happened with a guy around town, sort of.

He was the lead singer of this speed metal band, and played a Jackson guitar. He goes to do the Vic Wooten/ 80's guitarist 'spinning the instrument around your neck on the strap' thing, and his strap button on his horn gave way as soon as he flung it. It went 15 feet to his right, headstock first into a monitor. His guitar was a 5 string for a while, because he broke part of his headstock off, but he drilled another hole in a blank spot in the headstock, and it's a 6 string once again.

18. These recounts are truly inspirational.

19. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Well I think I can top all of you guys for stress testing a bass, I broke my truss rod on a neckthru this week :bawl: :meh: :spit: :mad: :D

as you can see, I had mixed emotions

20. I remember reading something about people whose ergodine and btb basses got badly damaged from accidents like yours, and some of them got their basses' bodies replaced from Ibanez.. You should write an email to them.. and ask them how to fix your bass.. they probably will offer you a new body.

Do a search on broken ergodines..