Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I dropped my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Intrepid, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I dropped my Rick hard yesterday. I was messing around I was playing it like a stand up and when I let it drop back down to normal position the strap came off band *baam* I chipped the laquer and a bit of the paint near the binding. Thats about. Landed on the cord and broke that. Need to get another one unless I can repair it. Makes me mad when stuff like this happens. At least basses are usually built like a tank.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Strap-Lox... The $12.99 insurance policy. Cause even tanks break occasionally :D

-robert

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my bass has taken so many spills...

straploks have let go (they stick open unless i hit it and make sure it locks)
    been on a table that tipped over
    hit into walls, doorways
    had drumsticks fly at it
    had a cymbal stand land on it

it's the nicks that give it character my friend!!! learn to love them!

jason

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm glad your bass is ok, and I'm glad I wasn't there. I faint at the sound of a dropped instrument.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I just hauled my new (10 days old!) Spector REX 2000/5 out of the 'wreck' of my car. The car was written off when some kind car thief rammed the stolen car he was in up the rear of mine - the Spector was in the boot(trunk!). I expected it to be just so much used lumber, however it just had some ripples/scratches/gouges in the lacquer!!!

The Hiscox case it was in was destroyed in the crash - but it did it's job protecting my bass!!!

Three cheers for Hiscox cases!!!!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, it's a drag when you damage something expensive by screwing around with it, huh? Good thing you weren't wearing Mom's good crystal on your head like a hat, too.:)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If a tank falls off of a cliff, it's safe to say there will be some damage. I've had problems w/Dunlop straplocks. I've switched to Schaller locks & for the past 5 yrs or so, the bass has never come off the strap.

Newer Ric's come w/Schaller strap locks but since your profile is kinda bare, I can't tell what you have.

8. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Actually, I'm kind of relieved when I get my first nick on an instrument -- then I can stop worrying about it. ;)

9. My bass has all kinds of nicks on it, its good for the bass, its kinda like scars, the chicks dig em. Most of my nicks are from my fan. When ever I'm done playing and I take the bass off, I always lift it too high and the damn ceiling fan whacks the head.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The voice of experience? :D

Seriously, Rics get character from those battle wounds. You should see my 4001!

11. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    I had a little chip on my bass, i cant remember how it got there. I dont even remember dropping it so its still a mystery how it got there, but i fixed by coloring in the chip with a black pen, and then covering it with a couple of coats of my mum's clear nail varnish! Worked like a charm! :D

12. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I have a 97 4003 according to its serial number. Knicks and scratches may give it character, but my basses character comes from its slickness, and clean look. So its slowly losing its character instead of gaining it in my opinion. Some basses look good scratched up, but this looks like crap. I panicked when it dropped. I almost caught it midair, but as soon as I knew my hands miss the target I evacuated out of the area screaming with my hands in the air(Everybody made fun of what I did after it fell and I said my bass was alright). I was wearing sandals and didn't want to smoosh my feet in addition to damaging my bass. If it wasn't for the music stand, I think my bass would be perfectly alright

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Hahaha I did this with my Sting Ray!!!!!

14. rmonk

rmonk

Aug 26, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I have a '76 4001 that, due to a moronic, drunken, raging roomate had it's neck split from the headstock to a few inches shy of the body. I had it bonded but never used it much or tried to have it setup again for fear the bond wouldn't hold. That was about 15 years ago. A few months ago I took it to my local shop to see what they could do. Several days later I got my Rick back, playing better than it ever had before. Sure, it's got some battle scars (old punker wounds), but it's still got that classic Rick tone & plays like a dream. Hell, I've got a few battle scars myself. Character...all character.

Rick

15. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    So If I'm a baby faced dude with no scars, does that mean I have no character. I know a girl that has the smoothest skin with no marks at all on it. No acne, scratches, cuts, nothing. Looks hot as hell. Definitely makes her unique looking

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That's right. You can assume anything I say is "the voice of experience." I'm old.

17. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I broke my ABG's neck when I dropped it, so I know how you feel. :( Straplocks are a worthy investment.

18. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Straploks are cheap, they're a small price to pay for a little more security.

Besides, even if they don't work a fraction of the time, they're still better than nothing.

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You should contact both Hiscox and Spector and tell them your story. They might feature you on an ad!:)

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Damn! You ARE old, ain't 'ya?

So, the crystal ended up in how many pieces? :D