Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I drunkenly made a bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Sep 20, 2011.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Had a show on Saturday and I drank a lot more than I should've after. Mostly because the only piece of equipment I had to carry was a tiny mandolin.

After getting obliterated I stumble through my front door, let the dog out, and proceed to clean up the house. I didn't really clean. I actually made it a lot worse. Kinda like how I also tried to do my laundry and caused a minor flood in the basement.:rollno:

I decided that my basement workshop was far too messy and I started to clean it. The more I clean the more parts I got. Eventually I realized that I had just about enough to make a bass. So I did.

Parts used:
    Squier P-bass with drunken paint job
    Ibanez neck from the 70s that I hacked away to make fit in the neck pocket
    4 different tuning pegs
    Pick up from??? No idea where I got it
    Jack and some wires that I found lying around
    Sheet metal
    Eyebolt screws for strap buttons

I don't really remember making this at all. I do remember using an awl and a hammer to pound away at the body so I could use machine screws to attach everything.:p

The sheet metal was painted with blue enamel paint and I've been sitting at it lying in the dirt for months. I used some tin snips to make the "control plate" and a drill for the jack hole. Why I didn't use the drill to attach the pickup or "control plate" is beyond me.

This is before strings. I just put strings on it now to see if the neck holds up. The truss rod in the Ibby neck is broken but I might be able to play this drop tuned. Or attached another neck onto the body. I did plug it in through my MB head and it doesn't sound completely awful!

[​IMG]

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    #winning

I love these drunken arts n' crafts threads! :D

3. hahah "#winning" while the charlie sheen roast is on lol

4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Woah... that's actually a killer looking bass (to me). It's got a lot of character and a great story. Would you ever sell it? :D

5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Great work :D What's the best bass for punk?

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Earlier on Saturday I cleaned out some lady's attic for some extra cash. "Throw everything out and keep anything you'd like" she said. I found a train set. I set that up at the bar while we played but drunks smashed it.

Upset that my career as a train conductor ended I did what any good train conductor would do. Drink. This is the result.

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Does your offer still stand when I say that all those pink things are sperms?:p

8. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    AWESOMENESS!

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You should definitely get consideration for roomate/neighbor of the year. Nothing like drunken use of handtools at 3am(I'm taking it to the next level and routing one of my P-Bass bodies for a couple Jazz pickups right now!!)

10. mantrabass

mantrabass

Sep 16, 2011
    Reading, PA
    This thing looks gnarly! I'm doing something similar, albeit not drunk. Very cool.

11. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    Sound clips!

12. tnickk

tnickk

Mar 25, 2010
    Cleveland, Ohio
    LOL! I would love to show up at my church gig with that! Can you make a 5 string version?

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool lookin'. Is it playable?

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    no pic no train

15. Fender should buy that design from you and start a new "Under The Influence" product line. :bassist:

16. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    At least you weren't drunken enough(or stupid enough) to crank up the power tools on this. That could have been really unfortunate. You still could have injured yourself pretty good with the awl and hammer.
    Now that the brief scolding is out if the way, nice job! I like it!

17. Forget about all those "does tonewood matter?" threads. This bass could spawn a new club called "Nothing Matters!"

18. Strohsx

Strohsx

Aug 16, 2011
    Now put it on craigslist for 400$ CUSSTOM 1 OF A KIND!

19. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i dont think i could be that coordinated while under the influence.

20. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The first thing that sprang to my mind is "punk bass".

I like. :D