Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I dunno about you, but I'm still digging my SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 20, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Say what you want. Call 'em sterile, passe', chilly, whatever. I've had an SWR electric blue head for about 11 years. I use it mostly for a practice head, but I've taken it out on small gigs, medium gigs with another head, and to large gigs running a poweramp. I've also recorded with it a bit. Sure, the tone isn't as exciting as some preamps, but it cuts. Once the whole band gets going the tone fits in nice and loses all of that "chilly" flavor. If I need a bit more girth I step on my Sans Amp BDDI. It's all good. I always get compliments on my tone when i use it, and the bass always has a lot of presence and "life" in the mix. There are times I miss my goliath 1 too, but that's another story, and i don't miss the weight. I still want an SM-900 someday, (and no, don't PM me with offers, I'm broke at the moment - :p ). You may not like SWR, but that's OK. I still do. :D

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm one of the one that thinks SWR's are sterile but I'm really only referring to there post Fender cabs. I like the heads and I haven't tried the older cabs and heads. And you really didn't need to post this. I mean if you like SWR stuff that's great. I don't (I acutally wish I did because it's so easy to find and I can get some good discounts on it)

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I like SWR gear. After hearing the IOD and Electric Blue on Basstasters I bought the former and started keeping my eye out for the latter.

Last Wednesday I saw a great band, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, who played here to a packed house. Their bass player had a Stingray 4 running through SWR gear and it sounded fantastic in the mix.

You aren't alone, IvanMike. :)

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'll stop posting about what i like when everyone else stops posting about what they like. Heck, I bought that head when you were 3........... :p

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    sheesh thats pretty harsh dubdubs, why not post that you like your own gear in a amp forum?

i think my SWR IOD is great, admittedly i've been looking for a replacement, but havent found any that would improve on the IOD from what i'm looking for in a pre, the new fender pre looked/looks promising but its no where to be seen/heard/tried

6. /hugs SM-400S :D

7. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    Any rig can be sterile, it depends on you to infuse it with soul. Your fingers are your tone. Sound cosmic??? No, just real...

8. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    Ahr, the refreshments reborn. I almost drove down to Seattle to see them a few weeks ago, outta curiousity.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    One thing I have learned about them:
    They are VERY sensitive to the kind of tube that they have in them.

I replaced the stock tubes in both my Grand Prix and SM500 with Telefunkens and the difference was amazing. I'm not talking about small, gotta listen for it differences. I'm talking in your face, :eek: differences.

10. I still love SWR gear too. They just seem to cut through very well. My main rig has been a Workingman's 8004 through (2) Goliath Jr's, and a SOB. I'm currently trying out a Goliath III and a Workingman's 410, together....which is a very interesting combination.

And I'm still looking to trade my GS212 for SWR gear...a preamp or Baby Blue.

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    +1

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OMFG, ok... here I thought I had the funniest quote ever... but nooo.. THIS tops it!!!!

13. Yah I'm an SWR fan,...... probably because of new ways to use them and connect them. Run Left side for Bass rig and Right side for Monitors off of my SM 900. Or guitar into booster smacking into the preamp tube for a good direct recording of blues tracks.

I still think my WM12 is one of the best amps. A combanation of portability, features and sound. Ahhhhh great sound.

14. i like my studio pro220. i´ve been going to sell it sometimes. even putting out an ad. but i still got it and it sounds really ok.
    think i´m gonna get a big pwramp and use the swr as a pre and perhaps changing the tube.

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    If you get the chance again, I highly recommend it. They even play a couple Refreshments songs. :)

16. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.

:eek: DOH!

I loved my SM-400 and would still be playing it if I wasnt such a moron.....lol

Ive never considered the "SWR" sound sterile by any means.
    Personally, when I think sterile, somePeavy, G&K's and Trace Elliots come to mind. ( no disrespect intended.)

It did get a bit warm at times though as it was bought before the models w/ fans were introduced.

The Basic Black was another that I really liked. Nice, simple design, layout and it sounded great .(IME)

17. (((hug))) my 'pre-chrome' GIII cab ... it even sounds good on the moon with a wanker playing an out-of-tune bass.

It's my acoustic transmitter of life.
    ... even though it smells like a bar (stale smoke and beer.)

18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    You can have my Mini Mo' when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Actually, not even then. Rigor Mortis will have set in, and I've told people I want to be buried with it. ;)

Obviously tone is perhaps the most subjective of links within the chain from bass to audience, and one person's "sterile" is my clarity, but I'll say this about the Mo-series and 750X's...

I can still have some grind to my sound, or even full-on "Sheenan-esque" distortion, but the difference between me and someone running an SVT-type rig?

I can shut mine off with the press of a button, either on the pre or by "built to withstand nuclear assults" footswitch. It's nice having your cake and eating it too. :D

19. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I absolutely love my two Studio 220s! I will never part with them. When I went through my latest gear turnover, the only integrated head that I kept was my SM-500. I like it better than I did my Eden WT-600.

20. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, I like the older style SWR preamps, with the 4-way semi-parametric EQ. My beat up ol' Studio 220 still has a great sound. The power amps I can take or leave, they're heavy and they tend to squish early. They're "not bad" though, as far as power amps go. SWR gear in general has this wierd treble thing, it's like you can't get enough 6 kHz to come out of the amp. Most of their amps have this insane boost in the 2-4 kHz range, and "nothing" above that. It's supposed to make the bass "cut through" in the mix, but to my ear makes it sound unnatural. I get the best results with the treble and tweeter turned all the way down, or maybe 90% of the way down. But all those idiosyncracies aside, SWR has been some pretty reliable gear over the years IME. It's carried me through many a gig. I was using the 220-power amp combination for a while, then graduated to a 750. The only thing of theirs I haven't tried is the outboard EQ, I always wanted to get one of those to complement the amp, but they're few and far between on the secondary market.