Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I eat my words GK NEO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Tonight I used my GK NEO 112 atop my (discontinued for sale for $10000.oo dollars) ;) bergantinio HT115 for the first time in a really loud club.You know that snotty light weight little NEO pip sqeak cabinet equipped kicked ass!
    I gave it a slightly bored review two monthes ago but have since gotten a much better idea of what it can do. I'd recommend it and probably the 2-12 NEO as well. (yes I know I committed the sin of gross generality when I said "NEO's are brittle sounding" which raised some feathers from the generality police, but hey....I was disappointed at the time) Anyway, my GK1001RB sounded fab as well. I put the Sadowsky away after the first set and burned rubber on my trusty MTD 535.GK sounds good, The cab has a nice voiced midrange that brings presence and clarity without being too "fosterish" or raspy on the high end. Two of these should fill the bill for most gigs providing you have 500-700 watts to hit 'em with. And the GK1001 with my MTD was killer. What a great value for $600 that amp was.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a GK Neo112 that hasn't seen any real action yet, so I'm glad it worked for you. From what I gather (didn't read your earlier post), you weren't crazy about it at first, and neither was I. But the more I play it, the more I like it. The clarity is amazing, and I agree that the high end, while crisp, isn't harsh at all.

I'm just hoping it has enough low end when really pushed to be useful on its own at rehearsals and small gigs. Maybe I just need a Neo115!

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Nice review -- I'll have to try that combination (neo + ht115 + 1001rb) since I have the same components. The first gig I used the Neo at I found it to be slightly metallic sounding, but that was before the speaker broke in. It has since warmed right up. I really like the cab, especially for the price and weight.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Well, on one gig I tried just the NEO 112 for one song by itself (as an experiment) before I turned up the HT115. At a decent volume the NEO filled the stage area and dance floor very well on its own. I was totally surprised. Your concern about the low end;I find that the B string gets adequate support from the GKNEO112. Its not HUGE, but its definitly there, its smooth, its fat and pretty round overall.
    I was considering getting an Aguilar GS112 but was disseuded based on reviews I got regarding it being mid shy. I'd say the GK NEO 112 is pretty balanced over all. (Martha Stuart says "thats a good thing") Free Martha! Oh wait, she's out already.

5. Im glad youre liking the Neo. I have liked my GK Neo212 since day one. Im gonna add another Neo212 at the end of this month.

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    One Neo 2-12 is very good but two of them sounds amazing. :bassist: All the rig you'll ever need...........

7. is a 2x12 loud enough for a outdor gig?

with no p.a.??? powering it with a 1001RB-II

i think it really cool how the 1x12s can fit perfectly on top of say the 1x15s or the 2x12s.

so you could have a combo of a 3x12 or a 1x15 and 1x12.

8. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    +1

I just bought one from Rik's and I couldn't be happier.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Tonenazi, thanks for elaborating on your experience with the Neo112. Sounds very promising. I'll be trying it solo for an "unplugged" show in a couple of weeks, for which I know it will be sufficient. But I'm sure we'll be very much "plugged" for fun during rehearsal, so I'll let it rip then and see what happens. I really feel a Neo115 coming on though, to match the 112 and replace the 89 lb. SWR Goliath III I've been using. LOVE the sound, hate the weight.

Aram, I also noticed that the cab seemed to break in, and warm up over time. Very interesting.

10. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Tone.......I'll go on record as saying that while I've seen some of those same comments in here, I own an Aguilar 2x12 combo and a Genz Benz Neo with an ext cab. The Aguilar doesn't suffer from ANY mid losses that I can hear. I think it's a work of art.

While the two amps/speakers sound different, they both are killer units and I enjoy the differences. I also find them helpful when checking out the sonic personalities of various basses.

To Genz Benz Neo 400 owners, I HIGHLY recommend adding the additional 12" extension cab. It makes an incredible difference.