Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I eat my words

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Jan 24, 2005.

1. I just saw the Stealth Bongo, and man, it's awesome! Looks evil. And I also loved the playability of the one i tried at Musiclive. I know I'll get flamed for being a hypocrite, but o well. :bag:

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Nick, we've butted heads from time-to-time, but the only way I'd call you a hypocrite on this is if you liked the bass yet didn't speak up about it or continuted to bash it in public. Good show on this one! :D

Perhaps this is a good "lesson" to be learned in general (and by others as well) - don't be quite so cocksure unless you're absolutely, positively sure of your opinion... and even then, leave room for a shift in opinion. People grow, change, and open themselves to new options. 5 years ago if you'd told be I'd own both a Fender Jazz as well as a "vintage-inspired" P/J, I'd have called you crazy. :smug:

3. You're not a hypocrite. Changing your mind doesn't make you a hypocrite. Saying something is bad but secretly liking it would.

I've eaten my words here on a regular basis. :D

- Dave

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Nick eats his words like a vacuum cleaner eats a budgie's head! :D

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    "Consistency is the hallmark of little minds." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. Indeed, I got called a hypocrite by a certain member of this forum, then they blocked me on AIM :( . O well. Playing the Bongo totally changed my view of them, and this new style really does make it look all angular and stealth fighter like.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That was me. Only because you proceded to tell me NOT to get my Musicman Sterling because they are utter crap.

Just watch what you say.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    And it was necessary to start a new thread... why? :oops:

9. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Actually, what Emerson said is that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Not quite the same thing. To get this thread back on topic, I wasn't sure about the look of the Bongo until I saw one in person and messed around with it for a few minutes. Now I want one. Dual humbuckers, envy green. Mmmm. :cool:

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I dug the finish. The thing I don't like about EB though is that the only thing that varies besides fretboard is finish. "Oooh, limited edition GREEN finish! What's next, thanksgiving in a box!?" If I really wanted a color, I'd paint it. I love EB basses to death, especially the sterling and bongo, but a greater variety in top woods, fretboard material, and such would brighten everyone's day. Look what peavey did with the Cirrus Custom Shop. I want a Bongo and Sterling/Ray custom shop!

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    EBMM custom shop would be sick. $1500 for custom anything? Id hit it.

12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    +1
    That's actually a really good idea!

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I want an indestructable, gigproof Bongo S.U.B in spatter black.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They would probably get annoyed at all the people who phoned up and said "Yeah, I want one of those Bongo's, but can you make one that doesn't look like a toilet seat."

15. Spatter Black would be cool. A Bongo S.U.B. would be cool

In the mean time...a Stingray OLP meets a rogue can if Krylon (Wattyl for the Aussies) may fit the bill. Of course, change out the electronics (especially the jack and the knobs...not too expensive).

16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    With a death ray at the end of the neck.

17. If you're playing country music, you may consider changing out the death ray with a bull whip (this would be the Nashville model)

18. That's because I don't like Sterlings or Stingrays.

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Peavy is also about 30 times the size of Ernie Ball.

I like Ernie Ball just the way they are--I like the fact that there aren't any custom shop basses, or signature models. They already have a wait time of 2-3 months for an instrument, and they can't build them fast enough to meet demand now. The world doesn't need 10 different Stingrays or Sterlings with a spalted cocopuff wood top. How many different models do you think a small operation can put out at consistent quality?

If you want a bass with a different top wood, or fretboard material, then you don't want a Sterling.

20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    *sigh* Nick, and you were doing so well...

I think the main reason your "opinions" are such a lightening rod is that you offtimes attempt to state subjective opinions as objective facts. Saying you don't like StingRays or Sterlings is fine - there are a ton of basses I don't particular care for, in which my opinion goes against the grain of most players here. For instance, while I like the tone of StingRays recorded or played by others, they do nothing for me in my hands. Same thing with Warwicks... and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

However, if I were to state that "'Rays and Warwicks suck" simply because I don't like them would be wrong, because it's an attempt to pass off my subjective opinion as a objective fact... unless I can denote some type of specific fact, such as "Warwicks suck because of the changes in the Just-A-Nut II from brass to plastic and because of the various recent wood changes". While still my subjective opinion on the matter, at least I'd be giving facts to back up my opinion.

Are you getting what I'm trying to explain? "Don't buy a Sterling because StingRays and and Sterlings are crap because I don't like StingRays and Sterlings" is perilously close to flamebait (as well as a circular argument), and it would only take a moment to list a reason why you think so to avoid so very much of negative opinions that surround you. In my years online I've never come across a forum so welcoming and friendly as Talkbass, and I genuinely believe it takes a strong effort to negate that. Unfortunately I've noticed your ego, belittling attitude, and "changes in a heartbeat" opinion on gear seem to be able to do so. You honestly don't seem like a "bad" person, just one who appears to post strongly worded opinions without a moment's thought. Try taking 5 minutes before hitting the "Submit Reply" button to think to yourself, "Is this opinion or fact, and how does it/I come off stating it regardless?" I think it would be of great help to you and your online persona.