1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I expect to file a claim already

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    ... but I hope not.

This guy listed a used Bacchus Universe Series Jazz bass worth maybe $250 used for $850.

There were some upgrades:
    • Audere Pro-z pre-amp
    • Nordstrand Big J Blade Warm and Wooly pickups
    • High mass bridge
    I offered him $500, he declined. Said he had over $500 in parts. (This is the ultimate discussion... do mods increase the value of the bass? In this case, over triple the cost.)

I watched the price drop, drop, drop... then another drop and sale... got it for under $400.

Based upon his comments in the email, I wonder if there will be some bait and switch.

Being and Bass likes this.
  2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    How is this bait and switch?

madbass6 likes this.
  3. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I am waiting to see if he removed any of the mods...

MattZilla and HolmeBass like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    It isn't, yet. I think OP has reason to be nervous, hope it works out.

40Hz, Spidey2112 and Acoustic356 like this.
  5. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Well, I guess the mods did increase the value - you're purchase proved that.

6. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Why wouldn't you wait until you get the bass and make sure it is was what you ordered before making a useless thread lol.

7. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Have you counted the number of use.ess threads on the site?

It gives us something to talk about in anticipation for a week!

8. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I'm not sure of the need for drama, yet. A delusional seller thinks their mods add their combined value to the overall value of the instrument. Foolish thinking, as the market dictated to the seller! I can see why the seller might have been a bit salty, because they're watching their investment get wiped out.

The market will always be unkind to used stuff like Bacchus, and no quantity of upgrades will help that situation.

bdplaid, jd56hawk, RickyWoo and 3 others like this.
  9. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I did not purchase it at the $850 asking price, closer to $350, which closer to reality...

10. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    That's not what Bait and Switch means. Where the 'Switch' in your scenario?

11. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    To defend the OP, he didn’t slander anybody, he’s just talking. I don’t see anything wrong with somebody voicing a concern on a chat forum.

That being said, any seller is well within his rights to list any product at any price the seller wishes. Whether that item get sold at that price is determined by the market. And in this case, it does not appear that the modifications triple the price. Sounds like $500 worth of parts increase the price by $150, in this situation.

How many positive reviews does the seller have? How many negative ones?

12. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Exactly

13. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I won’t know until it arrives... Curious to see if the seller removed any of the mods based upon previous conversations... I won’t know until the bass arrives on Monday...

14. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    Still wouldn't be Bait and Switch. More like fraud.

scootron, bdplaid, andruca and 3 others like this.
  15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    What were his comments in his email that make you nervous?

If you are doubting his integrity, why are you buying this bass?

16. Not a bait and switch, fraud or false advertising is more like it. I guess it depends on what bass it is and what mods usually. In my way of thinking I feel like mods depreciate the original value of a bass unless there is a reason to change something on it due to damage.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  17. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    You should wait until your transaction is completed and see what is missing or wrong with it before you engage the torch and pitchfork crowd.

alembicguy, Brian D, TonyP- and 8 others like this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I should think that the innocent until proven guilty approach would be a good one here, especially since there hasn't even been a crime (or any reason to even suspect one will happen).

I really don't want to live in a world where everyone thinks I'm about to pull a fast one on them, so I don't assume that about anyone else. If I start to get suspicious (due to something that suggests they might pull something), I'll just not do business with them.

andruca, kodiakblair, smogg and 2 others like this.
  19. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I was careful not to mention the seller or the site. They are reasonably protected,as even searching for the item is slightly difficult.

I am hopeful, this is really a way for me to pass 5 days while it tracks across the country...

RobTheRiot likes this.
  20. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Based on what you wrote in your OP, I think its likely someone could trace the seller. Do you really think this is an appropriate way to “pass 5 days while it tracks across country”? If I complained or worried to the internet world about every purchase I made that I had concerns about before I even received the item, I’d be a nervous wreck...and it would accomplish nothing but create suspicion, perhaps unjustly.