1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I expected better from this bass/brand thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

for me it was a Warwick Corvette Standard. It just doesn't fit, IMO. I really like Streamers though...

Your turn!

-Arpeggi

2. Rickenbrad

Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    Fenders.....i'm always disapointed

3. +1

Add Lakland and Spector as well

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    my MTD Z6...i really expected a lot of that damn thing and i think i wasted $1400

5. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
    Auch!

6. leading*the*rat

leading*the*rat

Oct 3, 2005
    germany
    Alembic: owned an Epic some years ago and was really disappointed!
    Pickups were buzzing like hell, hardware corroded after no time, fretboard got minor cracks after maybe six months of use...
    Do I have to add that I sold it after a year or so?

7. Pickslide

Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My Stingray 5 HH. Damn thing's a boat anchor & does not have the tone I hoped for from it. Lots of folks like them, I'm just not one of them.

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Fodera.

I played one in NYC once, and I had fully expected it to sound as good as a Smith, or original Tobias.

In fairness to Vinny; it might have been a bad one. In fairness to everyone else; in that price range, there should probably be no duds.

9. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Lakland Skyline.

I don't know if it was isolated case, but my Bob Glaub was pretty much like any other Korean bass I've played. The finish was super thick and the fret job was on par for a cheap import. I keep hearing the skylines are better than US Fenders, but every US Fender I've owned was twice the bass my Glaub was. From my limited experience a Cort by any other name is still a Cort.

Mike

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    yeah, I'm not a huge fan of them. They look and sound cheap, and thats not a good thing imo.

11. sadowsky jazz, the neck was just too weird

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    In fact, aside from a couple of nice Thumbs, I've never really been wild about Warwick basses when I have actually played them. A Streamer LX and Stage II pop to mind as being rather nice but not worth anything near the prices on them. Thumbs always look pretty, but when you try playing one on a strap for a bit it becomes apparent that their design is inherently flawed! :rolleyes:

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think Warwick calls them "designed to be worn extremely high" in lieu of "flawed". ;)

I've never tried one, though, I've never been particularly keen on the weird body shape and the dark tone I keep on hearing on recordings.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I wear my basses as high as they'll go and even then I've never found the Thumb to be particularly comfortable, at least most of the time. Sometimes you'll strap one on and think "this is ok", but give it a little while and the weight soon rears it's ugly head again!

15. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I'd say Warwick and Musicman.

Had a play with some Warwicks, but only one (I think it was a thumb) felt right. With Musicman, I always thought I'd fall in love with a Stingray, but after playing a fair few (4 and 5ers) I just can't get into them. The wax finish neck just feels wrong to me, and the tone doesn't do anything for me (that said, I love the tone others get out of them).

16. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I like this thread :)

You see the other side of the hypes.

For me some fenders. Really bad sound and fit n finish.
    Allso played a lot of good fenders.

17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I had one and I thought it was okay which was a disappointment in and of itself; I was expecting much more.

Spector Euro 5; Same as the Alembic, I expected more from it. The bass also weighed a ton and didn't growl as much as my old Precision did (both with EMGs).

Trace Elliot SS head (forgot the model); Lots of good players were using them, I thought it was blah. Went from that to an SVT, doesn't help me remember the TE fondly!

Rickenbacker 4001; I've owned 2 and in both cases I wanted the Rick sound other players were getting but I wasn't able to get it and the basses felt ackward to me. /cry

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Lakland 55-02. It was just OK.

19. Douze

Douze

Feb 22, 2008
    France

Yes me too!!

20. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Grabbed/stole a early 90's Musicman Stingray 4 string recently for under $800. Beautiful birdseye NECK w/ RW board, honeyburst w/ white pguard. It had the looks but just didn't do it for me tone-wise. It had great slap tone, which is what hooked me. Couldn't get the tone I wanted, fingerstyle. Played it with the band and it just didn't work. I'm not a knob tweaker...scoop the mids a little and turn it all the way up, that's me. If I were a tweaker, I could've kept it probly. Sold it for $1000, so no real complaints here. :)

It did get me looking for an alternative, which led me to Laklands 55 series (MM pup w/ jazz in neck pos, 35" scale 5er). I now have a 5594 which does it all: slap, fingerstyle & mimics a jazz, stingray, even a P perfectly!!!