I Experienced "Pick Snobbery!"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Mar 14, 2006.

1. I'm playing guitar for a temporary project, and met our bass player last week. We get ready to start making the rock happen, and for some reason I was shocked to see the bass player playing with a pick. I've played bass with a pick for 25 years or so, I'm most comfortable playing with a pick, and I get the sound I want playing with a pick and have absolutely no desire to change. But I completely shocked myself by being surprised by this guy playing with a pick. He's at least as good as me, plays a lot like I play and his bass sound is pretty damn good.

All's good, and I'm really pleased to be playing with a musician of his caliber, but I'm also really disappointed in myself.:scowl:
  2. Shame :scowl:

I never use a pick, just never felt right really. I copped most of my chops by ripping off Geddy - so no pick.

Lots of guys say that it's better to record with a pick. What say you?
  3. Depends what you're recording. A pick certainly will cut through better on rock tracks, though, unless you dig way the hell in or have an obnoxiously nasal tone with your fingers.
  4. Me? 99% of the stuff I've recorded has always been with a pick. I've used finger style on one or two songs just because I felt the song called for it. I'd say it's important to record the song in the most comfortable manner possible... Unless you're perfectly adept at playing with and without a pick, you should do it as you're used to- little mistakes magnify once they're on tape.
  5. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I play with my fingers, I slap & pull, and I play with a pick... all depends on the song. However... the greatest thing since the introduction of crunchy peanut butter: the 'Sticky Pick'... those are the ones that you can stick right on to the pick-guard, or guitar body (if you miss the pick-guard), and it's waiting there for you whenever you need it. Man, I just love the hell outa that! :D
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I WISH I was a good pick player, I want to work on it, Entwistle had the right idea, he switched all the time, often in the middle of the song!
  7. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    EXACTLY! That's why I'm luvin' the 'Sticky Pick'... :hyper:
  8. I was hired for a few sessions to play on Jet Set Satellite's latest CD, because they needed a pick player, and I said I was the man for them. I, however, hadn't played with a pick in about 10 years, so I had to practice like a madman to pull it off.:ninja:

Either way, one of the tracks I played on made the record, so that says something for practice, practice, practice.......:D

Check it out here:
    The track is "Together". Straight ahead 1/16th's........but fun! :)

FTR, I don't play with pick.......unless it's requested, and that's been once in a decade. :D
  9. I almost never play with a pick (even though I did just last night!). I've been a finger/thumb player for a long time (now I probably play 60% thumb) and I'd use a pick only for visual effect on stage.

I have nothing against picks, and certainly wouldn't make any assumptions based upon whether one played with a pick (Chris Squier) but they just ain't my bag, man.
  10. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I finally played a session where I really did have to use a pick. It was for a soundalike project, the tune was The Sound of Silence. Mad pickage. Of course I always prefer the fingers, but picking is a good skill to have.
  11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've been a pick player for years, too. I just recently decided to start learning fingerstyle. It's weird, cool but weird because I have to unlearn a lot of the stuff I've become so used to doing with a pick. I feel like a beginner again...it's kinda cool.

I don't think theres any "better" technique, but I do think versatility is a major plus for any musician.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm strictly a fingers guy. I'd like to learn to play with a pick just to have the technique under my belt.
  13. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Curious... What is the visual effect of a pick? :confused:

IME most folks seem to like the pick sound in the studio.
  14. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i play finger-style but record 99% of the time with a pick.
  15. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've have always played with a pick since I took up bass in 1976, and this is the first "bass played with a pick" thread I have EVER read where no one has said playing with a pick is wrong. I must say I'm very surprised and maybe the "snobs" are falling by the wayside. I won't be reading anymore of this thread, I might be disappointed. :)
  16. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I started out on guitar and still play the guitar today mostly for writing and recording. I used to play with a pick when I started out but I learned fingerstyle. I can play with a pick if needed but I don't on gigs because I never seemed to have one. I always have my fingers.;)
    My band is working on a CD right now and I used a pick to record one of the songs. It just needed it.
    I don't care if a guy wants to play bass with a pick. I like the attack you can get.
  17. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm getting into playing with a pick more, after 15 years of being more or less strictly a fingers/thumb guy on bass. I like the tones you can get using one. And I think it's always good to learn new techniques, as it brings a fresh approach to your instrument and opens up new creative areas.
  18. Ahfurfuksek!

Mar 15, 2006

I totally relate to that, i've been playing now for nearly 15 years with a pick and although in that time i've mostly been playin with punk/metal/hard rock bands i still feel somewhat inadequate as bass player because of it. Now that i'm currently between bands i'm using this time to master the art of fingering which is fun but I know that i will always feel more conmfortable with my pick....... thanks to this thread i feel slightly better about that :hyper:
  19. Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    I played with my fingers exclusively for a long time (like 15 years or so) and just recently as of the last year or so started occasionally using a pick. I think its always good to be versatile & open to all ways of playing bass. Though one really good practical reason for picking at least sometimes is that now & again if I play way too hard & blister the hell out of my fingers, using a pick may be the only alternative to finishing the practice or gig!
  20. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You're not a pick snob until you stress that EVERYONE call it a "Plectrum". :D