1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I fail at pop culture.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Jan 8, 2012.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I don't listen to the radio. Here is a snippet from our gig last night.

Our singer: Hey man we should play pumped up kicks.

Me: Yeah man. Great crowd. We should kick it up a notch and play some rockin' tunes.

Our singer: No man, pumped up kicks is a song on the radio.

Me: Oh......

Pop culture-1 Me-0

2. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Don't worry, I'm the same way. I have no idea who's who, except the who and a few others of that time (plus a few modern Russian groups0

3. To be blunt man - you're not missing out. IMO, pumped up kicks - and most of what I've heard from the likes of foster the people, and the dallas green experience aka city and colour I can't really say I like too much. maybe it's just the ska kid in me, but I'd really love to see some good ska and ska/punk hitting our radios!

4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I like the song. I'm always hunting down new music. If you really like all kinds of music it is a great time. Recording costs are so cheap that everybody does it. I got a fellow tber to send me his demo for free cause I loved his stuff. Once you get sick of the radio you can listen to grooveshark. Then once you get sick of that you can listen to a cd of a local band you have. There's so much free sources of music why buy it anymore. I love it.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have no idea what that song is either. I may have heard it, but I don't know it by name.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Found it on youtube. Pretty lame if you ask me, but that is just my not so humble opinion :p

7. rickl289

rickl289

Jun 17, 2009
    minnetonka, mn
    That is nothing. I lived in jazz hell during the 70's so when my buddies want to play some Allman Bros or Grateful Dead, I have no idea what they are talking about. :bag:

I'm getting better.

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    24 years old and I had to look it up myself. Maybe we just don't listen to music that sucks? :smug:

I'm of the ilk that good music will find me one way or the other. Either through friends, perhaps the radio, or other avenues (shows, opening acts for bands I see in concert).

9. I'm right there with you, except I've got a 22 year old front girl who knows all the latest hits. I just learn 'em and we do our thing to it (in the case of Pumped Up Kicks, there's the kazoo duet, the reggae version, the hard rock version, etc...). People dig it.

If you listen to the recording of that song, it's TOTALLY low budget. Yeah, it's catchy, but it's "bedroom quality", complete with sometimes-trippy drums and all.

Just goes to show you that chops are meaningless when it comes to writing "hit" music.

10. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    If its not on country radio around here, or on the classic rock stations, I haven't heard it. And everything I listen to at home can be considered "old" I think. Classic country, classic rock, and classic metal. I couldn't name the Top 40 hits if my life depended on it.

Scratch that; I do pay attention to some steampunk music, but there's not too much call for an Abney Park cover band.

11. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I will add I am 34 with 2 young kids. I can probably name off more Laurie Berkner and Raffi than I could top 40 right now LOL.

12. FreshTrooperXBL

FreshTrooperXBL

Jul 24, 2011
    Riverside
    I play that bassline in my school musician's club and everybody goes wild and "omg"s. I literally get people saying *quote* "That band is awesome. They write good music." Uhhh people no they don't. That riff is the only riff of the song. Not even ACDC was that bad (I love ACDC). In my jam band (70's slow Pink Floyd style) we jokingly play a bar or so and then cut it off right there. "Okay that was enough of that lets get back to real music." All that song has got going for it is catchiness. Thats it.

Edit: I agree, more ska needs to be played on the airwaves!

13. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    Being a hit doesn't imply being good music,is just that people like it.
    Is all about what you want to do with the music,and the purpose : if you want to easy listen,or you want to learn,or you want any other stuff from it.
    This is definitely not music to learn anything,but maybe about the marketing of a silly song that became successful.

Also,the one that said "There's so much free sources of music why buy it anymore. I love it"
    You will love it to the point where no musician can even buy an instrument,or have money to contribute to rehearsal,or cannot pay the tolls to get to play with your friends.
    You will love it when you want to get somewhere in music and your perspective of being remunerated for your musicianship is ZERO !!!

Buying an instrument cost money,studying it,maintain it (you change strings,right?,break cables,no?),rehearsal,registering songs,recording,trip to your unpaid gig, everything cost money,and the fact that sources of free music are available,doesn't mean it was freely done.
    Basically you are asking for musicians to be bank tellers,supermarket cashiers,gasoline dispenser, to support making music that ultimately be free in the net.(because those are the things they will have to do in order to produce their own music/hobby)

I wonder sometime why musicians (I assume you are) do not support their own musicianship by elevating their possibilities to "make it" in a market they helped build.
    Instead,it looks the tendencies for a better future in music is in the hands of those that are not musicians and have money (made somewhere else) to burn in buying instruments and learn enough to make silly songs that people will like.
    Pff,I know,the rant gets old.
    But is one of those days........

14. I'm 18. My mom listens to more "Pop" music than I do.

15. James L

James L

Jul 24, 2011
    I play in a cover band and the bad part is that I will know the key signature of the song and not the name of it. They all just laugh about it because they know that I don't listen to the radio and when I do it's cspan...

16. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Absolutely. There's a ton of great stuff out there today, whether you have something against music normal people like or you don't.

17. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    We played the song anyway. Its was 4 notes and the truth LOL.

18. Our singer/guitarist normally gets nervous if we suggest anything after about 1970 and he is the youngest (Yea I'm old and proud of it).

Then one day he suggests 3 songs to learn that are in the UK charts by these "really good new bands" so we quiz him on why the sudden change in attitude. Apparently his GF (about 15 years younger than him) has been giving him grief about not doing 'current' songs. She listens to the radio and thinks that what we play is "crusty old rubbish" because it is not heard on the radio.

The drummer and I half heartedly learn them for the next rehearsal. Come the next rehearsal we try one and it sounds dreadful (IMO, IME, YMMV etc), but the original was not much better (IMO.....), just less mistakes. We didn't even try the other 2. I cannot even remember who they were by or what they were called, they were that memorable.

So I guess I fail as well but to I care

19. You fail?? Hell,your're still more up-to-date than me. I thought the thread was about these:

Redirect Notice

:bag:

20. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    We play 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's. 00's, 10's lol. Everything from Elvis, Johnny Cash, Dance, Motown, Rock, We could go from Prince to Dwight Yokam then to Gin Blossoms. We are open to playing anything and being a trio can learn things just even hours before a gig. We NEVER rehearse. The singer sends us a text of what songs he has learned and we either thumbs up or thumbs down the songs. He played on a cruise ship for a while so he knows what gets people involved. I am the oldest at 34, youngest is 30 (I think). People see some younger guys belt out Prince or The Temptations and they get the crazy eye like what is going on lol.