1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I feel an obsession coming on...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muddslide, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Dear lord...all I need is more GAS. I've been doing so well the past couple of years.

Now I find an old interest has resurfaced and I'm already scheming on ways to acquire...

an URB.

Yup. I've only played one a few times...I can play fretless and played violin for a time, so I think I can learn to navigate the fretboard and use a bow over time (though bowed URB wouldn't be my first interest...)

I dunno...I used to always think of getting one. Wanted one really bad in fact, on a few occasions over the years, but always considered it so impractical.

Then I was listening to some Mingus this evening and it hit me. Real. Bad.

I know there's a TB forum for URB, and I'm sure I'll be spending some time there soon.

I sure don't intend to forsake the electric bass, but I do love the double bass. Always have. I may not be able to stop myself, fellas...

Anyone here play both?

Tips, pointers, etc. before I check out the other forum?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I play both. I started playing double bass in 1967. I left all basses for piano, composing, and teaching for a number of years, but kept my ancient double bass and my '55 P-bass. I then returned to it about ten years ago.

I am assuming you want to do Jazz, and perhaps a few other things.

My advice:

Be prepared for a huge inexhaustible challenge. DB takes guts (ha ha) and commitment, not to mention hard work and $$$$$.

Don't bother with cheap instruments. They will hold you back in a way unparalleled in the slab bass world.

Get the best instrument you possibly can. Spending over $4k is like getting a used MIM P-bass. A good bow is half that.

Take lessons from a teacher who is an active performer in both classical and Jazz. Learn both Classical and Jazz. Try different teachers.

Concentrate big time on playing with the bow. Believe me, Mr. PC, Mingus, Mcbride, they all did that. IMHO, it is the ONLY way you will ever learn to play really in tune, and get your left hand doing it for real.

Practice and perform. Get a pickup (big topic) and go do it in front of people.

Playing in a community orchestra helps. Get a collection of Real Books and recordings. Perform! Do bluegrass, folk, jazz jam sessions with retired guys, whatever.

3. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Thanks for the info Jim. Unfortunately, from other researches, I've already decided I have to quell this obsession. Unless I win the lottery I don't think this is in the cards. Too much of an investment of time and money for me to really do it justice. It's a bummer, but I'll rise above. I just have too many other things to devote myself to at the moment.