Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I feel like a bullet in the gun of Robert Ford.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I cheesed out. I just quit my band by email to the boss (girl singer). We weren't going to meet for at least another 2 weeks, and I didn't want to wait. I've been thinking about this for several months, and I just want to get on with my musical life. Reasons are too many to enumerate, but it had to happen. I was one of the core members (The boss, her husband and me) so it'll probably be unhappy news on the other end. MOTL.

2. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Me too! Feels free doesn't it?

I was so tired of playing the same cover-tunes over & over again so I quit. I did kinda leave 'em hangin with a couple of gigs but I don't really care. The drummer sucked, the GP couldn't handle rythm when the rythm-gp left and they really pissed me off when they told me they wanted to go the semi-prof coverband way. After I've been mawwing for writing our own stuff for over 2 years. Bungholes.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Ya got somethin' else lined-up, or are you just takin' a break for a while...(just curious).

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That's kind of weak. Couldn't you have called her?

5. OOOOOHHHH Munji.... I hope your emails aren't as devastatingly sarcastic as your posts... LOL maybe you should have called instead... :D

Randy

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Nope. No other irons in the fire. But I'm looking.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes! Punish me!

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    No, I was as kind as can be under these inauspicious circumstances. My lame-ass justification is that she drops her bombs by email too.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    So here is her response. See what I mean about the email? I'm glad we can still be friends. Our paths will cross again. All the names are changed, BTW.

Hi Munji,

I'm really sorry that it got so grueling. But I know where you're coming from, and you're right. This group doesn't seem to click at all. Actually, I was going to send everyone an email and let them know that I was contemplating hanging it up anyway. So it's all for the best. I sure will miss you though. You are my friend over and above all of this band stuff, and I have felt really sad lately because I know everyone is unhappy. We had a great thing going with Theotis and Biff, and unfortunately we all contributed to them departing. So lessons learned for all of us. BTW~ I think you're a great bass player. I never had any complaints about that, I think we would have had a lot more fun if we would've gotten a sound man to do all that stressful stuff, and you could've just played bass :) Anyway, I love you and please keep in touch. I will let everyone else know because Marshall and I have to make a decision on what to do, so there you have it. On a lighter note, Sean was real happy with us and is going to book us next year.....har har.

Take care of yourself friend. I will miss you.

Always,

Tammy

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That's great! It's always a pleasure to play with rational people.

11. glad to hear that things have worked out without having a major fight.

12. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I wish their names really were Theotis and Biff...

13. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    It's probably always most appropriate to leave/breakup in the most personal form available (in person is best, by phone would be next, etc.). However, it seems that email has truly become a universally accepted form of reasonably fast communication (we see it in a similar light as our parents may have seen the telephone). As long as the email is appropriately detailed for the circumstances, there is no reason that it should be considered a "rude" way to extricate yourself from this situation. If anything (if all parties behave reasonably), email can allow everyone to say exactly what they mean and take the time to review their comments before placing them into the discussion. Glad to see it worked out well!

14. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I don't know about that... I still think there's too many subtleties to voice (and to face to face, of course) that just can't be communicated over email. No matter how many smilies you put, you still can't be sure how something would be taken. Or how many people will read it. Or if it will come back to bite you in the ass. Or if the reasonable reply was just a front for a dangerously pissed off woman. :)

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    We've known each other for 3 years. She meant what she said. As far as the email, I know she prefers it in actuality, because face-to-face confrontations aren't her thing. Further, there is less chance of it evolving into a slugfest, because words can be more carefully chosen in an email. Everything is fine.

16. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Darned good point about the pissed off woman!! If anything, that would make me want to leave the band via email even MORE!

17. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Email is appropriate. It's the modern day letter of resignation. It's better to put it in writing than to just submit it vocally.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Sooaahhh, anybody want to guess where the thread title came from?

19. Well there's the EJ song which of course refers to the RF that shot JJ...

20. "Now Jesse had a wife
    Who mourned for his life
    And three children they were brave.
    But the dirty little coward
    Who shot Mr. Howard
    Has laid poor Jesse in his grave."

Well you may have sent an email instead of telling her in person, but you didn't shoot her in the back either.