Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I feel like a stupid gear whore (GS410 for 2xGS112?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Sep 11, 2002.

1. About eight months ago, I traded my pair of Eden D-210Ts for an Aguilar GS410. It sounds killer hooked up to my first-run EBS Fafner. Problem is, the portability isn't exactly what I was hoping for--I can't see myself hauling this thing around in five years. I've never gigged it, but I can tell that hauling this thing up and down stairs at 2 AM won't be pleasant.

I could probably get an even trade for my GS410 in exchange for a pair of GS112s. Reading the specs on the Aguilar website, if I'm doing the math correctly, a pair of GS112s is more efficient (you add 3dB for each identical speaker cab, right?) than a single GS410, owing to cabinet-to-driver ratio and such. I've played through a pair of GS112s and they sure kick out a lot of low end. The portability would be killer. The tone, with my Fafner, would be downright jizzworthy, although I'd have to test 'em out in person to make sure.

Should I make the trade? I feel somewhat embarassed to be thinking about this now, but in a few years I'm not gonna have an SUV anymore--I currently drive a Jeep Cherokee but I'd like to have a sedan as my next car--and hauling around a 100-pound 4x10 won't be all that easy.

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    At least it's not a 130 lbs 4x10! (Not to mention the ~80 lbs 1x15!) :D

And you have a car, you smug bastard.

Damn!

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Since Hugh brings it up...I gotta say Peter...in that picture that you have as your avatar you DO look like one smug bastard. :)

I'm really wanting to trade in my 4x10 too (eden) but I want an Eden 210XST instead.

brad cook

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    If it has the tone, power, and you could make a even trade. Go for it! Your back will thank you later. Your not a gear whore, but Jokerjkny is. :D

5. Why, thank you :D

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ...and what's wrong with being the "Funkycarnivore of the Amps Forum"? ;)

but seriously, Pete, do the math, and your back will thank you. but have you tried a dual 1x12 setup? be warned, if you're used to the quick punch of 10" speakers, 12"s might leave you wanting a bit more.

another great option is Demeter's 3x10. a little larger than a 22" computer monitor, but only 60 lbs. and about as light as a single Aguilar GS210. pumps out mondo sound too.

i'm too lazy to write up eveyrthing Stroy and myself wrote about it, but do a search and it'll pop up somewheres. bottom line, we couldnt be happier.

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't know about your future plans, but if you haven't gigged the 410 in the past 8 months, how often will you do in future?
    Is portability really such an important issue for you?
    Do you want to risk a 'degradation' of tone - OTOH you might like the 2 112's even better of cause, who knows.

I'm asking this because I find myself in a similiar situation. I have to lug around my main rig only on a few occasions a year - I guess I could even manage to move a SVT & 810 that seldom...
    But of cause I AM happy when I have to carry my 65lbs cab - and I hope that I will need it outside our rehearsal room more often soon...

But for all those more frequent smaller jams and gigs I use my GK MB150 anyway...

Just some food for thought.

Matthias

PS: If you're currently suffering a bad GAS attack - forget this post ;)

8. jaffabass

jaffabass

Mar 28, 2002
    Peter, I know what you mean about feeling like a "gear whore". I started a thread the other day cos my back cannot take much more of the Ampeg 410HLF I bought 18 months ago. I was asking opinions about changing to a 1x15/2x10 setup to save on the back ache/moving up stairs at 2AM. To be honest I feel a bit daft as well but I guess it's just one of those things.

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    About three months ago I sold my Eden 410 XLT and bought two EA VL210's for the same reason, I just got tired of lugging it around. I like the versatility of two cabs. If it's a small gig, just bring one cab. If it's a larger room, make two trips with smaller cabs and you still have the punch of the larger cab. It's a win win situation. Also I just bought one of those folding portable dollies and can take both cabs in one trip.

10. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I sure do love the ease of hauling the GS112's. I also love the tone. Thicker than 10's, but punchier than 15".

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You'll have to compare the sound of the 12's to the 10's to figure out whether 12's will work for you. Having said that, I LOVE my EA and Bergantino 12's, and lugging them to gigs is no big deal, thanks to a folding dolly. I wouldn't touch a 4 x 10 (or even a couple of 2 x 10's) with a 10 foot pole (or even a 12 foot pole) these days because the SCHLEP sucks so bad that I'd be dreading every gig before it even got started....but that's just me.

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That's why I bought the VL108! Ultimate portability! If you are playing more funk, you may find the Aguilar GS112 to loose some of the quickness, and clarity of the 10's, but it will be deep and smooth. I hate taking my GS210 to my gigs, but it sure sounds great! I could easily gig with a GS112, but I should have thought of that before!

13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Maybe y'all are too weak to be playin' out? ;)

I use an Aggie 410 and as far as 410's go it isn't as bad in terms of portability as others. For about a year I used the back seat of an old Honda Accord to transport it, no problems loading it. Did it take some work to load out occasionally? Yeah, but the tone ultimately justified it for me.

FWIW, I am older than you, the cab weighs about 66% of my weight and I am a vegetarian. Basically, if I can move it, you ceratinly should be able to. Sheesh, youth today....:D

BTW, Specs tell only half the story. There were some threads on here recently about people who made the switch you were contemplating and found that 2 12's simply didn't push as much air as a 410. Definitely try it out under full power first.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Or maybe we're not trying to land the Metallica gig? :)

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Does the GS210 have sufficient low end by it's self?

16. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I believe even Metallica are too weak these days. :D

I recall reading that since they need to use in-ears there was no point in having large amps all over the place. IIRC, Jason's rig for the last tour was an Ampeg combo mic'ed off stage mixed in with a DI.

17. When I seen Jason with Echobrain he was using 2 SVTs with 2 8-10 cabs in a medium sized club.

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well you are a gear whore... but thats another story..

Go for the trade if thats what you want.. I don't see a problem with it.. and since you asked.. I thought I would tell you my valued opinion ;)

19. I have been thinking about getting one (or two) of those GS112's, because most of the people on here like them. Only problem is that no one in my town sells Aguilar. Maybe someday I will just buy one.

If weight is an issue, use whatever is the lightest. No sense in lugging around gear if it makes you sore.

jtbp

(P.S.--I use an 8x10, so I have yet to get tired of moving it around.)

20. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking--I got the cab with the intent to use it with a prog-metal band that never got off the ground (lead guitarist disease). Now I definitely have jazz gigs coming and am getting together a pop/jazz/fusion group (a la Steely Dan, Bruce Hornsby, the pre-suck Pat Metheny Group), and having a big ol' 410 behind me suddenly doesn't seem like it'd necessarily be a good thing.

Still, though, I'm gonna try to get a few gigs in with this cab and make my decision from there.