Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I feel like beating up on Eminem.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Jul 20, 2003.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i think the two best parts of the article were

otherwise...ehh...:meh:

3. I didn't read it, his pictured screamed "I am a smarmy middle-aged columnist, HATE ME NOW" so I did.+

4. He's saying nothing new but I love this:
    "There is also something odd about a guy who screams about being trashy and blue collar and anti-establishment, but lives in a 22,000-square-foot mansion. You can only get so angry at your butler, you know?"

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yes, another poignantly humorous remark that I was going to quote, too.

6. Mitch Albom rules. I read his columns on a regular basis and am rarely disappointed.
    I saw Eminem in 1999 when my band played a side stage at the Warped Tour and he was headlining the whole thing. I thought he was boring as a live act.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eminem is a live act?

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Has Eminem done anything lately? I mean, I saw him on the cover of rolling stone or something not too long ago. Way after 8 mile came out. I just can't believe people are still eating it up. But then again, I could have swore reality TV would have been dead a long time ago.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, Rap isn't going anywhere, and he's a pretty good rapper, so I suspect people do indeed still like him.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I just mean, the whole whiny style of rapping where he sounds like he's seconds from crying, it's annoying as hell. What I meant by why is he on the cover of rolling stone is, there is a bunch of pop **** going on, why put Eminem who hasn't done anything in a while on the cover?

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I believe you answered your own question.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

This was a Detroit show. The big "E" is from Warren, or Sterling Heights. Warren is just over the road (north) from Detroit, The "Heights" are a bit more north. Still geographically "Detroit" though.

I don't see the appeal in his stuff. But the column was a funny read.

Rap is perhaps the "rebellion" that rock'n'roll has failed to posit in suburban teens.

13. And its thriving like a mofo
    :(

i've gotten to the point where i dont care what happens in pop/mainstream music. as long as i dont have to listen to it im fine.

14. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I've tried to listen to Eminem with an open mind, and I think he has some good rhymes. I mean, listen to 'Forgot about Dre' or his rap in Fittycent's 'Patiently Waiting' and I think you'll see what I mean. I'm not a rap expert; I listen to a lot more hip-hop and R&B than straight rap, but I know what I like. His rhymes can be funny, too, but I think the jokes aren't PC enough for public consumption.

15. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Thats exactly my feelings about it. Some rap i can admire for the poetic language used... when its actual poetry. Rather than 'F- this, F- that!, they can't F- with me cause i'm the toughest!' so thats my two-cents.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The resturaunt is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Wanna know what it's like in one of those places? Get a job at Perkins or something.

But back to fEminem, what's the deal with this whole, "No one understands me, I'm so underground and hated." :rolleyes:

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    If surburban teens wanted to rebel against their parents, they'd tell them they planned on being a musician :D .

18. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    maybe there waiting to die out at the same time... we'll find out

19. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Eminem's first CD was so awsome, I love him. I don't care what anyone says, he has awsome rhymes and word play.