1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i feel like i'm in a tone slump

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by southshoreconor, Feb 20, 2008.

1. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    a few months ago i really felt like i nailed my sound. it was tight, punchy, sat great in the bands mix. after a while i just kept messing around trying to add new things. my typical set up is an MIA Jazz through a 400+ and ampeg 810e. i also have a T-40 and 78 Precision that i can use but i always prefer the Jazz. anyone have any tips for getting a Tim Commerford-ish sound out of this set up? lots of low end/mid crunch without getting boomy. i really dig his stuff but i would take my Mesa over an SVT-II. any advice would be appreciated.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Which Timmy C sound are you going for? The first Rage album, the other Rage albums, or Audioslave?

Definitely play around with your Graphic EQ.

3. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    when the bass comes in on people of the sun. i play a different style of music and with a pick but i just want that sound. i know he used a stingray on their first cd which is great but not what i'm looking for (hence the jazz bass)

4. try a different cab. The Ampeg 810s lose something to my ears.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I gotta disagree. That's the cab that Tim used, and his live tone was often very similar to his studio tone.

You may consider replacing it with something similar, sealed 10s, like the Bergantino NV610, but I don't think the cab is your problem.

A lot of Tims sound is in his effects pedals, which he keeps tight lipped about. How are you EQd right now?

Tim uses overwound pickups, you may want to try raising your pickups for a hotter output, but truthfully, that won't make much of a difference.

6. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    i've actually used the NV610 a few times (my guitarist owns one) and i really like them, considering one in the future, maybe paired with a NV215.

currently my bass is wide open, the amp is as follows Mids-8, Bass-3, Treb-5. With the 400+ the low end breaks up around 4/5 so i'm thinking maybe boost the Bass to around that, lowering my mids a c-hair. The Graphic EQ (which i shut off recently cause i don't need it with my Precision) i guess the easiest way to describe it would be like an "elvis lip" with the boost around 250.

7. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Nice! funny way to describe an EQ setting. A lot of people that use the 400+ like using an A/B/Y box so they can run both channels at the same time. Maybe that might help.

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i found that years ago i was always trying to nail " my sound" . and for the most part, it sounded awesome when i played by myself, which is great\

but when i played with my bands at the time, it wasn't even close to what i would play in my bedroom..

i found i never really blended to bridge pickup, i always lept both full volume.

i always used to use the dual coil mode in my f basses and pump the pre amp like all the time.now its susally flat with minor boost and in single coil i was such a moron\\

these days lessis best i find. i make minor, sometimes never even boosting the eq, keeping my amp settings flat in most cases(eden nav) and letting my fingers do the work.

i always stick with round wound la bella super steps or daddario nickel xl's and personally i love the way it comes out..

try keeping your settings simple, and listening to yourself from not just 2 feet infront of your amp, but like 20 feet away( another reason why wirless is great)

any q's just message me

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  10. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    I think i got my mojo back this weekend. i played two shows, one with the Precision and the other with the Jazz and i really felt comfortable for the first time in a couple months. but i might want to try that a/b/y thing. does anyone have any detailed explanations on how that works?

11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    There's probably some compression involved.

12. Tim C bi-amps for later stuff doesn't he? Has 1 clean amp and 1 overdriven and uses both for heavy stuff. Although that's probably got nothing to do with the problem you had.

13. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Have you changed your strings lately? That may bring your sound back home..

14. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    actually tri-amps nowadays. one clean through and 8x10 always running, and switches between one somewhat driven through a 4x10 and one really driven through another 4x10. my band's not exactly playing the type of venues where i need three 400 watt all tube amps and sixteen 10 inch speakers. not yet at least....

i change my strings pretty regularly. thats one thing i'm pretty anal about and am perpetually broke because of it.