Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I feel so bad

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bassy18, Dec 26, 2002.

1. bassy18

bassy18

Oct 30, 2001
    Here
    Ok guys,:(

I feel so bad. I am a music major. String bass is my applied instrument. I got a bass guitar as a present. I've wanted one for some time now. Its x-mas break and I should be practicing my upright (lovingly named barniby), but I have this new bass guitar and I haven't touched barniby all of break so far. I even got new strings for the upright. HOw do I stop this insanity. I love my upright but I haven't had any desire to play it because all I want to play is my bass guitar. Help me. Is this natural?

Sadly yours
    bassy...the traitor

2. Well, i think alot of people have this problem when they have 2 basses. They know thye really wanna pla the new one, but feel bad when they dont play the old. I say, spnd the time half and half to play both. How long do you practice? I didnt play my old bass for awhile and it showed t a gig. I broke a string on my new kramer and i had to use my old 5 string, but i had been so used to the 4 string, i struggled a little(especialy in sunshine of your love by cream). So just split the time down the middle. Just my thoughts. Or, split thereak down the middle. Play the bass guitar for one week, and the upright the next. Good luck and happy playing.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Enjoy your new toy without guilt. Just remember, though, that your upright chops are slipping by the minute, so spend some time playing with the new toy and then get disciplined again.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    No it's not "natural", you freak; leave this house immediately.
    Seriously, the two can live together and even enhance each other. And new toys eventually become tools to get a job done (I've pared my collection down to four essential "tools"), especially after you put the first ding in 'em. Then you can just pick the one that's most likely to get the work done correctly.
    If you're like most DBers, you have a lot of time and work put in on an instrument that you have to love, with all of its ideosynchrasies, in order to even think about pursuing. That doesn't just go away overnight. And if you should find yourself (heaven forbid!) pulled towards the slab, at least you're in some pretty good company (Steve Swallow, Anthony Jackson, Jeff Berlin, etc.)

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you'll be juuuust fine..
    i double majored in college (db/bg) anad just learned to manage my time . It all worked out in the end...I graduated.:)

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    How much do you want for the upright? ;)

7. I'm sorry guys, but I disagree. He's gonna go straight to hell for this outrage! BTW, Hell is where you have to listen to Fieldy 24/7!!!!

8. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    That seems a bit of a harsh punishment for anyone.:eek: The double bass seems like a very cool instrument and I'm sure you'll get back to it soon enough. As stated before you can do both. Look at John Patitucci.

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
  10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Christ. I went and checked the web site, having never heard Fieldy. This guy actually has fans? He plays bass?

I'm stupified.

11. Go to the messege board

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That's ok. I think I got what I need from the web site.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    one of my students told me that fieldy chooses his basses to match his clothes:rolleyes: I wouldn't really consider him a bass player as much as a noise maker

14. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm not sure but I heard he has a signature bass also. Sad, very sad indeed

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Marketing hint for Warwick: Release something like the 'American League' compatible line. A bass that compliments any oversized team jersey!

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    nfl licensed basses ?
    I could see somebody with no taste doing that - oh yeah ,warwick....

I think I'll have a logo painted on my Wilfer...:rolleyes:

17. bassy18

bassy18

Oct 30, 2001
    Here
    Two things,

I am a chick....and who cares about fieldy....just answer the question...am I going to hell or not?

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you are definitely going to hell.... just kidding. BTW, what does gender have to do with anything ? Just curious...

oh, and where are you a music major ?:) (So i can slam the music dept. if necessary.;) )

Nobody that takes the bass seriously cares about that person.

Don

19. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I gotta admit, I usually picture DBers here as male...gotta stop that. Sorry, Bassy.
    At the risk of derailing this thread, do you run into any kind of "boy's club" mentality as a female DBer? Are there other female bassists in the program you're in? Just curious.
    Finally. go ahead and enjoy the slab. I'm not sure I could survive financially if I didn't double, and I'm glad to have the occasional gig or session on the electrics. Beats diggin' ditches.