1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I feel trapped

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lloccmttocs, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. can a moderator delete this thread

EDIT: See last post for paraphrase of the original post by the original poster - CF.

2. Ah.
    You're not trapped.
    Depending on how quickly you want to sell it or whether you can afford to buy a new one while waiting for the right motivated buyer to take that one off your hands, you will more than likely find someone here who is interested. And if no luck here, then try craigslist or ebay.

You may not be able to get quite what you paid for it but you might get lucky and find a bass that suits you better at a lower cost, and make it up that way. Feel no buyer's remorse. What's done is done and it will all work out in time I'm sure.

3. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    I don't know Upton's policies, but talk to them. They may be willing to help you get into a bass that is a better fit for you. There is no reason to feel trapped...life is to short to not love your bass.
    John

4. The reputation that Upton has here and around the bass community should make it pretty easy to get your bass off your hands. I wouldn't be too worried about not finding a buyer. It's a shame that the Upton isn't the right bass for you. That is my concern when buying a bass that hasn't even been built yet. You can never be sure about how it comes out and just have to trust the luthier.

I saw your post in the classifieds section. Best of luck. Seeing the amount of posts that have already turned up following the initial post, I think you'll find a buyer soon enough.

I'm about fifteen minutes by car from David Gage's in New York so if you want someone to go and play basses with you if you end up selling the Professor, drop me a PM i'd be happy to find you a place to stay and go have a belchfest.

5. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to start saving enough for a deposit on another bass. Then start looking around for the one you want. When you find it, put down the deposit to hold it. Then concentrate on selling the one you have. Start here in earnest. Search the threads for a poster that mentions an interest in a new Upton Professor. It's very possible that you may be able to interest them in yours for the same price, with the advantage being that they don't have to wait for it to be built, and they get to try it before they buy it.

FYI, there ARE other dealers in CT. Visit them all, then fan out to NY, MA and wherever else. (All Hail) Bob Gollihur has a pretty comprehensive list of luthier/dealers:
    http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/luthiers.html

In CT alone, there are at least 3 others:
    Mike Asetta in Haddam http://www.mikeasetta.com/
    David Mix in Branford http://www.davidmix.com/
    Constantin Popescu in Westport http://www.atelierconstantinpopescu.com/

Then in MA you have tons of options but this guy has an amazing selection: http://www.nahrmannbass.com/

And of course NY has the big boys:
    David Gage, Arnold Schnitzer, Jeff Bollback, Merchant, Ideal, Kolstein, etc etc

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Indeed, but didn't lloccmttocs have the chance to play the very same model in the showroom before ordering his? I mention this only to point out that size, playability, etc. should not have been unknowns. The best advice is always to play a number of basses especially when that kind of cost is involved. Living within striking distance of so many other fine shops (i.e., the New York ones), there's really no reason not to do that.

Note in edit: Check here.

7. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    +1! Really good advice!

8. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Scott,

Seeing as you posted here I am kinda forced to respond no?

Gosh.....lets get you in the shop and make some adjustments to start, as we discussed before you posted this. I obviously can't chop the bass up if you feel its too big ;)

You loved the bass pattern, sound etc when you tried it at the shop, numerous times, and I want to get you back feeling that way again.

As far as your friends bass..5,000 for an Italian bass? What?

9. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    "As far as your friends bass..5,000 for an Italian bass? What?"
    +1 to (All Hail) Bob!
    No joke. Is there a web site for that bass?

10. I'm a bit troubled by the notion of deleting a thread simply because it may be interpreted as a negative against one of the site's advertisers. It's the OP asking to delete it and that's his/her choice but it seems suspicious since the request comes immediately after the aforementioned advertiser chimed in. That "chime" should be enough to show that he operates in good faith. It's a bit "Big Brother" to think that any post that could be seen as saying something bad about a retailer is tossed down the Memory Hole. this thread has as much value as any other to a potential customer.

Just thinking out loud.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If anyone wants specifically me to delete this thread or leave it up, please send me a PM. Right now, I'm confused about what's going on. :help:

12. drurb

Apr 17, 2004

I agree that the thread should not be pulled but not because I believe that the request to do so is part of any conspiracy to benefit an advertiser. I don't see where there is any evidence that the deletion was requested, "simply because it may be interpreted as a negative against one of the site's advertisers." Furthermore, if it were deleted, I don't believe that would be the underlying motivation.

I agree that Upton's "'chime' should be enough to show that he operates in good faith. " There's no evidence that Gary Upton would disagree! My suspicion is that the OP was a bit embarrassed by what seemed to be an impulsive action (that would apply to his posting and, perhaps, to his purchase :) ). In any case, I believe that the thread contains useful information to the community. So, I agree with Mingus that it should be left but for quite different reasons. I'm really growing tired of the Talkbass advertiser conspiracy nonsense. I really do not believe that Paul and the mods censor with an eye toward advertising revenue, nor do I believe that they would seriously consider doing so.

13. I agree to agree.
    I do wear a tinfoil hat sometimes but yes I am on board with the basic conclusion that the OP is checking himself... but I wouldn't rule out that Gary and the OP agreed to have it removed too. In any case, I've made a much bigger deal out of it than it is I'm sure. I will only add that this is probably the 3rd time I've seen someone mention Upton in a context that wasn't oozing praise, which ended in the thread vanishing down the memory hole.

I have lots of conspiracy theories about politics too which have proven all too painfully true. So....

14. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Sad, but true. I do recall that akahank posted such things but in those cases he was just trolling and inventing things as he went along. Despite my happiness as an Upton customer, I am completely with you on this. Anyone should be able to post his/her actual experiences here, good or bad, with Upton or any other retailer. We all benefit from that. The truth is that I didn't even interpret llocmttocs's post as being unfavorable to Upton at all. I read it more as he might have pulled the trigger too soon before finding his true love.

As far as conspiracy in politics, I suspect we agree there too! :)

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Regardless of what some may think, there are no black helicopters flying around TB protecting the site's advertisers. After reading several of the PM's about this issue, I'm more confused as ever since I still haven't seen what the original post said. At any rate, I'm going to wait to hear from ROCKMYSOCKS before taking any action, and I'll probably confer with Jeremy and Damon as well.

As far as the tinfoil hat stuff goes, I don't want to flog any dead horses again, but I think it's safe to say that just about every commercial user down here in DB has had their chops busted about something or other during their time here, and that there are no "special" commercial users who are exempt from the rules...if there is that perception, that's in the eye of the perceiver, and that's it.

Carry on. :)

16. Me neither, which I guess is why I said I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here.

More and more people are joining the Rebel Alliance these days... that can only be good, eventually. But I won't go there. That's for another board!

17. Thanks, Chris. There's a reason you're the moderator. You do it well. The same OP posted a similar thread in the For Sale section which may elucidate the matter for you. Oh wait. It's gone now!! harhar

18. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I see in Rockmysocks's profile that he currently has, or had one of Upton's laminates. Is the carved Professor bigger? :rolleyes: Maybe I'm missing something here. :confused:
    I've been happy with my Upton experience, but they put their pants on the same way as everyone else. You win some, you lose some.

19. Maybe, but also maybe its just the fact that its a laminate versus a much more expensive Fully Carved bass and for all that money he wants it to be perfect and the fact that things felt off after playing some one else's bass made him re-evaluate his bass. This probably made him doubt himself for buying it. For instance take my situation I have a hybrid that has very high shoulders to the point that the maker nicknamed it "Big Boy" but since it was reasonably priced and gets bigger sound from it, It works fine for me even though I have to stretch a little more in the higher thumb positions, but if I went out today looking at fully carved basses I would surely look for a low shouldered bass that would be easier for me to play and it would be harder for me to work around the fact that a bass had high shoulders. These are just my thoughts, maybe the Professor is much bigger.

20. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Good catch clink! If I recall the order of events correctly, ROCKMYSOCKS' laminate Upton was the old design that had higher shoulders than his Professor, which is one of Upton's new designs. It didn't seem to me that he was blaming Upton for anything at all. Much as I really like the Upton basses (I'm waiting on a Professor right now), no single bass design is for everyone. If ROCKMYSOCKS could be so disillusioned after playing a single other bass, then it seems that he wasn't too secure in his decision to begin with. If you really do your homework, play a bunch of basses, and then end up buying one, you can't kick yourself too hard if you just happen to play another that you might like better. You'll probably still like the one you bought. If you don't do your homework... well...

It may also be the case that ROCKMYSOCKS doesn't really know what he wants yet. As others have pointed out, he may lose some $$$ in the end but his decision is hardly irreversible. I think he's fortunate, at age 18, to have a budget like $5500!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.