Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I fell in love...with a Steinberger Spirit?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Aug 28, 2002.

1. I took a couple of friends to McNeil Music up north of the Cornell campus, since one needed guitar strings and the other needed a wall hanger for his electric violin. While they were hashing out their respective transactions, I went over to the wall of basses and grabbed a white Steinberger Spirit XZ-2 4-string (the one with the conventional body) and started playing it unplugged.

Man, what a sweet bass! Even with dead-sounding strings, the tone was still remarkably clear. The headless thing didn't bother me all that much, and best of all, the neck was comfortably hefty! I'm sure it sounds like crap plugged in, but a set of Barts and an NTBT would take care of that problem.

Now I'm wondering if the old-school graphite Steinies have the same relatively beefy neck...hmm...

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Composite Steinbergers have a bit of a "u" profile, a bit like a baseball bat/precision vibe.

The Spirits are good for the price (I had a 5 for a couple weeks), but ain't nothing like the real thing...

3. Whoa. Sweet.

Too bad they're so rare...

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, there's word out that Gibson will restart production on the composite Steinies.

I so want to see it happen I don't even want to ask if hell is freezing over.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  6. I played an XQ-25 (the US-made narrow-spaced fiver with a body) once. I loved the tone--it was sharp and articulate, but with the low midrange that seems painfully lacking in Moduli and even some Zons.