I fell in love with my Rick again.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I haven't really played my ric in about half a year, it's just been sitting there (dust free of course, I'm no monster). I realize I have a spare pack of Rotosound Funkmasters (my favorite stringset), and all my other basses have strings which are relatively new, so why not? I threw them on there, and set it up mildly (the neck was still sturdy and there was no fretbuzz). Wow, it plays like buttah now. Great slap tone too! Now, I have my trusty sansamp RBI as my only preamp, use it for everything. I noticed there was no pickup hum because of the compressor, so I said "hey, why not" and cranked the drive, blend, and presence up to 3 o clock. Jeebus, did this thing sound like a ric or not. I achieved the signature ric "clank" and loads of growl. God, I love this thing. I can't believe I was going to go sell it. I love it so much I might even fix up the old 74 Ric 4001 in Red that I've been telling myself to fix up. Woooo.. I love rics!
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IT's good to hear you're back in love with your Ric. As much as i love a new bass, there is nothing better than finding a new appreciation for what you already have.
  3. Jackson E

Jackson E Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2004
    East Nashville, Tn.
  4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I totally agree, and this is perhaps the most defensible and most reasonable reason that people have multiple basses. I know I, for one, get into the groove of playing one particular bass and then for one reason or another, I'll pick up one that I've not played in a while and say "God, why did I ever put this down???" and then I'll play it as I main bass for a while.

This rejuvination really inspires me when I'm in a rut. If I have a bit of writer's block with a bassline, I pick up a bass I haven't paid much attention to in a while, and like a ray of sunshine, my writer's block goes away and my creativity comes to life.

I've usually stuck to owning just 2 basses at any particular time, but have owned as many as 4 at once. I usually just don't have enough money to justify having more than 2, but right now I find myself owning a fretted 5, a fretted 6, and a fretless 4. I also just got my fiance a fretted 4 for Christmas, so I've been playing it a bit. I've been very creative lately.

If I only had one bass, I know my creativity would stagnate and I'd lose interest in bass real quick.

So A+ for refreshing your interested in a lost love. :)
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Truth, and more cost effective to boot! ;)

And Ricks get in the blood of some people. My Rick was the second bass I ever bought, and it's still my #1. I'll get massive GAS, head to a store and try out a zillion basses, narrow a few choices down to one or two, thinking this-or-that will be my next bass... and then I come home and play my Rick and I wonder what I was thinking. It's easy to get lost in the heat of the moment when you're drooling over pics online or basses hanging on a store wall.
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Amen. Mine was my numero uno until I got my warwick, but I just picked it up and smacked myself for putting it down.