1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I fell in love

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Jan 29, 2001.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Yes.. I fell in love... with a Ken Smith 5 string.. not sure what model it was.. but it was on sale for $2800! O_O but I tried it.. and I fell in love.. I know I won't be able to get it but I really loved it!! The bass was soo comfy, this was the FIRST 5 string I'VE EVER LIKED! The sound was very nice.. very midrangey. which i really love.. a great slapper bass too.. Stuffs I can play with the 4 string were easier to play on the Ken Smith! With that, and a nice sounding Low B string should open up to more possibilities for me! I know that I won't be able to get that ($2800) :~~~(

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yep - they have great playability. There is a great-looking 6-string Ken Smith in the Bass Centre in London and the manager said to me to try it although he knew it was over my budget! I really love the neck - how flat it is and it just makes it so easy to play. But the bass I tried is well over £3,000 in the UK - at least $4,500 equivalent. So I will probably never get a new one and I've never seen a used one over here. :(

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Bruce: yeah.. i love basses/guitars with flat necks...(Like those Ibanez Guitars).. makes it much easier to play (In my opinion), its all opinion.. some people hate those flat necks.. but i really love it.. soo easy to play. Even if the bass neck is wide, it makes it much easier to play with the flatter neck ^__^ I REALLY want a Ken Smith now. Some poeple say that Ken Smiths are more to the Mid/Treble side so if you have distorted guitars in the band, it will be hard to hear.. but I thought the Ken Smith I played had lots of Mid/bottom tone to it with that nice punch!

DM:D