Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I fell in love

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Jan 29, 2001.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Yes.. I fell in love... with a Ken Smith 5 string.. not sure what model it was.. but it was on sale for $2800! O_O but I tried it.. and I fell in love.. I know I won't be able to get it but I really loved it!! The bass was soo comfy, this was the FIRST 5 string I'VE EVER LIKED! The sound was very nice.. very midrangey. which i really love.. a great slapper bass too.. Stuffs I can play with the 4 string were easier to play on the Ken Smith! With that, and a nice sounding Low B string should open up to more possibilities for me! I know that I won't be able to get that ($2800) :~~~(

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yep - they have great playability. There is a great-looking 6-string Ken Smith in the Bass Centre in London and the manager said to me to try it although he knew it was over my budget! I really love the neck - how flat it is and it just makes it so easy to play. But the bass I tried is well over £3,000 in the UK - at least $4,500 equivalent. So I will probably never get a new one and I've never seen a used one over here. :(

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Bruce: yeah.. i love basses/guitars with flat necks...(Like those Ibanez Guitars).. makes it much easier to play (In my opinion), its all opinion.. some people hate those flat necks.. but i really love it.. soo easy to play. Even if the bass neck is wide, it makes it much easier to play with the flatter neck ^__^ I REALLY want a Ken Smith now. Some poeple say that Ken Smiths are more to the Mid/Treble side so if you have distorted guitars in the band, it will be hard to hear.. but I thought the Ken Smith I played had lots of Mid/bottom tone to it with that nice punch!

DM:D