Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I figured out how to get the Tool sound!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I was at the local music shop and i was playing with the SWRs and Squire's.

I got exactly the same sounds as the guy from tool does, and i thought a few people around here might appreciate it.
    I played this on a Squire P-bass 5er and it was through a SWR working man 12 combo:

Gain: 9.5
    Aural Enhancer: Max
    Bass: +15
    Mid: 0
    Treble: 5
    EFX Blend: 2

I doubt the EFX blend did anything but hey. And all the knobs on the bass were right up aswell.

Hope this comes in handy!

-Kirbo

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, ya, right, your so rediculosly off it's not even funny. But uh...... thanks? I'm sure a squire can sound the same as a wal.......:confused:

3. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    if im not mistaking...why would you need a 5 string bass????? He plays usually higher up in the neck. And correct me if im wrong...isnt his entire sound based off of mid-range????

4. I really doubt that you did get it (unless you are a magician with your hands :D ). I think Justin's tone has the smiley face EQ going on. And besides that, how would it be possible for a Squire to sound like a Wal?

5. I don't think it's impossible that he could have gotten what he calls Justin C.'s tone simply because tone is something relative to the person listening it. And neither I think it's imposible for a Squire to sound like a Wal. Maybe a Squire could not cover the entire tonal variety of a Wal. But if we went down to more specific terms on tonality, a Squier could sound like a Wal.

Maybe he got a tone very similar to something were used to, or maybe that tone sucked, but I don't think you have to be a magician to take that tone out of a squier P.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That's cool that you found a similar tone. :)

I am sure it will come in handy for some of the Tool fans around here.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll notify the media.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey, I have an idea. If someone finds out something about playing bass that they think is cool... and so they post it here to share their legit thoughts on the mater... let's give them a real hard time so that they never do that again.

After all, all we want on this board is the off topic area anyways...

:rolleyes:

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're not being facetious, are you Gab?

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Munj, what's up with the one-line jabs lately? Sheesh.

11. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Guess what, I found out how to get regular sound. It appears you just have:

Lows half way
    Mids half way
    Highs half way

You'll be rocking in no time.

12. I'm with Gabu on this one-I'm happy for ya, and I don't doubt you got it to sound like him.

This community on the whole should lighten up a little. This isn't the first time I've seen bashing for no reason on tb.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Who me? :cool: I was just irate that someone posted a legit thread and was being poked at by most of the following posts.

I mean, I expect to see that when someone posts...

"LiIkE OkE , So hOO Iz TheE BeSStesT ... JJaKKo Er HoPPus>?ss"

But there was nothing wrong with this thread.

That's all.

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I can emulate the Hoppus sound with a Rogue bass!

beat that!

15. Actually, he's right. When I had my Squier, I could nail that tone. With my Fenders, I can't. So there ya go.

16. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Back the train up for a minute. There are other forums on this site aside from Off Topic and Misc.? :eek: Why was I not notified of this?

:D

17. I can do it with a rubber band and shoe box! Hoo ha!:p

18. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I was only playing the main riff of schism, and i didnt use the low B.

I guess there aint any point on typing up a thread about how all the people on Talkbass have become really judgmental lately, because everyone will just ignore it or take it the wrong way. There is also now point in cracking the ****s, because it aint going to accomplish anything.

Thanks to the guys who said "cool" and for those of you who didnt, i dont care.

PS thanks Gabu and Davy0 :)

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah thanks for pitying the guy and saying he was dead on. listen, ive looked at justins rig, looked at his eq, his chain, it's not like that, neither does he use the "smiley face" eq setting. but if it sounds good for you, have the hell at it.

20. Pollybass, That's irrelivant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.