1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I Figured Out How To Upgrade Tuners on Hofner CT Club Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pstone_foo, Apr 15, 2009.

1. pstone_foo

pstone_foo

Apr 13, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I recently bought a Hofner Contemporary (CT) Club bass, and for $700, it's a great buy. Love the tone, very comfy to play, and other than some very minor wood finishing flaws, it seems well made. Oh, did I mention it looks way-cool with the red finish?!

Only sub-par part of the bass are the Wilkinson tuners. They are very cheaply made, loose, and the plastic knobs do not match the rest of the bass. Like others who have posted before, I already stripped one of the tuners. Hofner is doing a disservice by putting these on what is otherwise a very nice instrument.

Anyway, after much research, I ordered and SUCCESSFULLY and EASILY installed replacement tuning machines (about $40 total). They are Grover Vintage Sta-Tites, and they match up EXACTLY with the existing holes in the headstock... no drilling required. Unfortunately, they do not come in ivory, but the nickle looks very nice and matches with the tail piece and looks good I think.

Here is where I got them from:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites.html

I took some pictures with both the old and new tuners on so you can compare (see attached).

One more note, I HIGHLY recommend trashing the roundrounds that come with this bass, and investing in a set of LaBella Deep Talkin' strings ("Beatle Bass" model). They sound very natural and thumpy (think upright bass), and they are easy on the fingers.

Good luck, and feel free to fire any related questions my way!

Attached Files:

2. I will keep these in mind. My 2nd Contemporary Club came to me with perfect tuners but just in case something goes wrong with them I will know where to go.

Please post a full photo of the bass. Here is mine (I have posted this photo like 3 times in the past week...can you tell I am excited?)

Someone should start a Hofner Club on here. I would do it but I don't feel like keeping up with giving out numbers :)

hofner.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I had a club, and it was a nice bass. I actually had old Grover patent pendings on it for tuners, since I snapped a tuner off about 20 minutes after I got the bass. I thought it was because I was an idiot. I still am, but I feel slightly better about it.

4. pstone_foo

pstone_foo

Apr 13, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Per Mr. Alien's request, I will post a picture in a new thread.

One more note on the tuners. The bushings that fit into the headstock are ever-so-slightly small, so when the strings are tightened up, there is a VERY tiny gap under them..... you have to get up very close to see it. It does not affect how the tuners function, and you can not really see it.

Only downside of the new tuners is that the knobs are smaller, so there is not as much torque to turn them with your fingers. They are slightly more difficult to tune than the originals, but not objectionable. These are really electric guitar tuners, as most of these smaller, open backs are. Kind of odd that Hofner used this style of tuner, but hey, it's been working for them for decades, so who am I to question!

Bottom line.... new tuners much better than old, so mission accomplished.

5. bobthegood

bobthegood

Jul 17, 2010
    Maplewood, MN
    I also had quality issues with my original CT Club Bass tuners. And after finding this thread, I also purchased some Grover Sta-Tite's. Unlike pstone-foo, the replacement bushings on mine were a bit tight , requiring the slightest bit of filing. Work done and installed in about 30 minutes. Agree with others on the size, but the looks are great, and the quality is definitely a step up.

Attached Files:

6. Ward Phillips

Ward Phillips

Jan 14, 2018
    Do you know if Grover Sta Tite model V98N would work? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Plugging in here in hopes that it will help me find a Hipshot D-tuner that will work with my new Hofner.