I finally bought a Five string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkbassist, Dec 18, 2001.

1. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    After doing my shopping, Last night i went to a place called Victors House of Music and i bought a MTD kingston 5 bass. Its the nicest thing, I like it better than most MTD's becasue the kingston 5 is 100% passive. Plus it looks like a Flea bass. I got it in Candy apple Red with white pearloid pick guard. They said they just got them in a few days ago. Its nice as hell.
  2. Right on Punkbassist! Christmas came a bit early,eh? :D

How is the string spacing?I think sometime in the future I am going to HAVE to get a 5er,just because so much of the music I want to learn is played on a 5.Never played a 5 string here,so not sure what to expect...

Sounds like a sweet bass man.:) Rock on!

3. Kingstons have narrow spacing at the nut, but it widens out to full 3/4'' at the bridge. I've played a K5, and they are great basses for the money.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm a fairly recent convert so I'll share my experience.

I got my first fiver back in March, 2001 (found a sweeeeet deal on a '97 Fender Roscoe Beck). After playing fours for over 20 years, I was very unsure how I'd take to it, but I now play fives exclusively. As much as I love my Music Man beater fours, they now feel incomplete... I love having a 2-octave range at each fingering position. BTW, that is the true beauty to the 5-string... it isn't just the five notes below low E.

Yes, I was extremely clumsy when I first started playing 5.... I was constantly a fourth off. But 3 months later I was gigging with my 5-string.

The biggest factor that aided my transition was this: a month after I got my fiver, I joined a new band and had to learn a lot of new songs. Rather than learn them on 4-string, I learned them on 5. I didn't think in terms of keys/notes, I thought in terms of patterns: as long as I had the correct root position I could build scales from there... no more confusion about whether I was in G or D. :) Learning songs fresh on 5 was easier than un-learning and re-learning songs I'd been playing for years on 4.

I do miss my fours, but five is so much fun that I can't go back. I can play the newer songs without having to tune down to hit those low notes... and it's also easier to play songs that don't go below low E. "Californication" by RHCP is a great example... although I do take the liberty of playing octaves off the B-string during the F# - E - D progression near the end: I think it sounds phat, and my bandmates agree.

Finally: if you're tasteful on a 4, you'll be tasteful on a 5: your ears will tell you when and when not to use those low notes.

P.S. I know I'm raving like a Born Again, but I'm not making any value judgment about 5 vs. 4 (or any other # of strings). I just know that 5 is perfect for me. Maybe you'll want to go on to six... but if worse comes to worse and you decide to stick with 4, you can always get Hipshots or try a four-string tuned BEAD. Good luck!
  5. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    nah i finished my xmas shopping and im very impatient around the holidays. It kicks ass its better than the stingray 5 for sure(im saying this with backround info from me playing the ray5 and also bass player i think it was rated it number 1 so dont start that **** with me)
  6. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I really enjoyed your post.

BTW, I have a lot harder time with a (high) C string than a low B... I was just curious if you've tried high tuning your 5er or if you've tried a 6.

Also, I was curious about string spacing... I prefer the standard spacing (even though it has a wider neck) on fives... it is easier for me to adjust to as I go back and forth (which I admitedly don't do now that I only own 4s).
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Humble thanks to Tom7, and a humble 'you're welcome' to Usul. :)

My fives are BEADG (no interest in EADGC) but I've been trying sixes at the local stores out of curiosity. I had a lot of fun playing a Pedulla Thunderbolt 6, but yes, I was surprised at how tricky the high C string was when I went to riff up high.

I love standard-space fives. Mine all have 1-7/8" nut width and 3/4" bridge spacing, and I'd consider a wider five. OTOH I'm very clumsy on narrow fives. It pains me to say this, but that includes the Music Man 5. There's a Ray 5 in blueburst at a local shop... it's a little beat up but sounds fantastic. It's been hanging there for awhile and I could probably get a good deal on it, but every time I play it I fail to convince myself that I would adjust to the narrow spacing. I wish I wasn't so picky. :(