1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I finally dialed Ole Geddy in for Slap and Fender rant.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I put on a set of .105-.45 Rotosound Swing Bass strings and I lowered the action so I can really slap comfortably on this bass. I played little excerpt from Aurra’s Make Up Your Mind (Steve Washington original bassist.) I have the original below my rendition.
    My rant is that apparently Fender did not take the time to actually provide wrenches that fit the bridge. If I did not have a wrench small enough, I could not have lowered my action. I noticed when I first brought the bass home the trussrod wrench was totally useless on a vintage reproduction bass like my American Geddy Lee Jazz. Supplying the right wrenches would only take a tiny bit of effort, and on a $1623 bass, anything less is raggedy. Stuff like that creates so many Fender haters. I love this bass, but the wrench situation is trifling.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Gazman, StringJunky, Inara and 44 others like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Finger style is better with the new strings and lowered action too.

3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Yes, all valid points.
    .... but you still bought it. Their work here is done.:bassist:

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :roflmao: That is so true!:D

5. Lesfunk

I love to diss Fender, though I won’t do it here (too many people would take offense, and I don’t want to offend people).
    The fact is that I love a Jazz Bass, just not the ones Actually made by Fender as much.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have owned some wonderful Non-Fender Jazz Basses, but Fender hit it out the park with my bass.

7. Lesfunk

I’ve had so many J basses..... some were truly great. The best “Fender” one by far, was a 1993 Japan ‘75 reissue.
    I put in some sadowsky pickups, added a badass2. Coupled with my old sadowsky outboard preamp...instant Marcus!
    My best overall (non Fender) jazz bass was the Bluesman vintage

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here is some righteous Finger Funk on a Marcus Miller Signature Fender Jazz.

kerrycares, five7, Roger W and 16 others like this.
  9. 600 Ohms

600 Ohms Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Every video, the good Doctor is always staring into my SOUL.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Never underestimate the value of setting up a bass or guitar. I already loved this bass, but it feels like an entirely new bass after the new strings and lower action. I am in love all over again. Even my daughter heard me playing and said my tone was better. The Geddy really sounds more like me with the tweaks. I don’t know why I put off setting the bass up?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    lomo, Rabidhamster, Snaxster and 7 others like this.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't think I ever got any wrenches with any new bass I bought.

jerry and InhumanResource like this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Would you feel better if you got the wrong wrenches? ;)

13. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    The wrenches fit the NEXT Fender you're going to buy.

revd, delta7fred, SlugThrower and 6 others like this.
  14. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I have the tools already, I never put off setting something up. And it’s because of this, most of the time something didn’t come with or have any tools at all.
    Dialing a bass in is a pleasure to me, makes it mine.

Sneezles61, David1957, REV and 6 others like this.
  15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Don’t be too quick to condemn Fender for this. It could be an oversight - if not from Fender, then from the store where you bought it (small items can go missing in transit or during unpacking). I have always received both a truss rod wrench and an allen key for the bridge saddles with every single Fender I’ve bought, regardless of price range. With my American Standard P I even got an allen key for setting intonation, as the Fender Hi-Mass bridge uses allen bolts for that.

Trabeen, wncBass and EatS1stBassist like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My Jazz Plus came with two sets of wrenches to adjust the Schaller locking bridge but no truss rod wrench, even though the instructions (a couple of poorly mimeographed sheets) said to use the included truss rod wrench when adjusting neck relief. It did come with straplocks which i had never seen and at first had no clue what they were or how they worked other than to think the strap buttons looked mighty iffy and I didn’t feel comfortable at all when i put the (also included) strap on them and realized something was not at all right with those oddly shaped buttons that were essentially worthless. When i finally saw the uninstalled strap part of the straplocks, it only took a minute of piddling with them to figure out what those goofy looking strap buttons were all about, but yes Doc, as nice as that bass is, it was like the case candy was either a bad joke or a hardly considered afterthought along the lines of “well, we’ve got to put something else in there with the bass so lets clean out the junk drawer and just toss all that random crap in with the new dinky jazz.”
    In spite of all that, it remains the best bass i’ve ever owned. The first time my dad saw it he picked it up and did a few random runs and said it practically played itself. Fortunately it was so satisfying it killed any desire to even look at other bases, until many years later when i first found TB while seeking info on current amp tech. :D

mikewalker and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    All of the wrenches were neatly placed in sealable plastic bags along with the certificate of ownership, warranty card, strap, cord, and other items. The wrenches simply did not fit. The trussrod wrench was totally useless because the Geddy is old school where the neck has to be removed and a flat head screwdriver is used to adjust the trussrod, but I was given a trussrod that would work on their modern trussrod sockets.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +100!

redstrand likes this.
  20. filwitheneff

filwitheneff

Feb 22, 2008
    SEMO
    Doesn't that bass have the "Fender High Mass" bridge, same as the Ultra basses? I recently acquired an Ultra Jazz, and it came with the wrench for the bridge. Maybe contact the dealer (or Fender) and get one. I agree that it seems crazy that it didn't come with one.

Dr. Cheese likes this.