Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I FINALLY did it!! But was I right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tommixx, May 13, 2003.

1. I finally called Sadowsky Guitars for about the 10th time today and ordered a Caramel Burst Swamp Ash 4 with a Maple neck and a Morado board with a passive tone control and black hardware...Exactly like Nino Browns latest I think except I wanted the normal control layout...my question is this...I am still not positive about my board choice...Roger said I could change it if I want but I don't really know what to do...most of the Sads I have seen have the maple board and the ones I have heard all have the maple board...I saw Aerosmith last year and Tom's 5 String cut right through the mix...when he switched from ax to ax it muddied up except when he came back to the Sadowsky...point is it CUT through a Stadium sized rig...I have been a pro engineer for 23 years and a bassist for 27 years and it was probably the cleanest bass I have heard through a rig that size...Knowing what you guys know and playing what you play...what would you do? I slap maybe 25% of the time and I finger the rest of the time...Roger said that the Morado would be fine for the older (60's Motown to Soul etc) as well as the 70's and more modern stuff I do...what would you do and what would you buy if you had a blank check with 1 free Sadowsky written on it? Would you change the body finish color or do you think it will look as killer as it looks online? H E L P ME P L E A S E !!!!

Thanks,

Tom

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Sadowsky!! That is going to be one sweet bass! I love Caramel sunburst. I also really like the '59 burst. As to fingerboard choice, it is hard to say. Both of my basses(F-Bass, Brubaker) have Maple boards, but the basses sound very different. I think you get a bit more snap with maple, but honestly I could go either way and be happy.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Here is my opinion.

I prefer the feel of rosewood and rosewood type boards when I play. We all know that rosewood boards sound a little more fatter than maple boards. And that maple boards are a little tighter than rosewod baords. I feel that with a versitle bass like a Sadowsky, a good amp or a good sound engineer who knows how to mix your signal, is all you need. Any tonal differences that are caused by the different types of fret boards can be eq'd out by your amp,rthe sound guy, or the combination of the two. I would keep the morado board.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I dont think sound is much of a factor compared to feel. I think the board will effect feel and looks before the sound.

5. I agree with the consensus thus far...I ordered the morado because I like the feel much better than maple...I have owned a few maple necks but most of my basses have been Brazilian Rosewood, Wenge, or Ebony. I also think the Morado will be considerably warmer (Roger confirms this) on the Swamp Ash Body...Roger said that the board wood will effect the tone as much or more than the body wood (which I would not have believed had I not heard it from him) seems to me with the boost only preamp and the passive tone option I should be able to "Boost up" to a nice slap tone and "Darken Down" to that sweet 60's Motown sound...the best of both worlds...I thought maybe it would be harder to get there with the maple board....What do you think?

Thanks,

Tom

6. I have a maple board on my Vintage 5. A friend has a morado on his. Roger's preamp is so flexible that with only a small adjustment, both bass can sound identical.

The maple adds just a bit more tightness to the sound when set flat. On the morado, just boost the highs a bit and you're there.

Jeff

7. I think the morado board is going to have more fundamental and less overtones than the maple. The attack will also be a little softer with the morado than the maple. Will the morado cut through the mix? I don't think the tonal difference between morado and maple will even be a factor. It's really more about what type of tone , look, and feel you will be happy with.

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'd order the Morado board too. I just love the way it looks

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I would pick the Morado...but that's me. I like the feel and the warmth as compared to maple.EQ will take care of most of the tonal differences anyway.And how about amplification? How much more or less snap would you get with a Sadowsky with a Morado board through a Euphonic Audio rig versus a Sadowsky with Maple board through an Ampeg.So many variables! Nevertheless, either way, you're gonna have a killer bass.

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I used to think I preferred rosewood boards, but later realised that my feelings against maple were based on lesser quality basses (read: some ****ty mid 80s Fenders with too much lacquer that I had the misfortune to run into!! ;) ). I've now got 2 Sadowskys with maple boards, and I couldn't be happier. Unfortunately, I can't compare the sound against a rosewood board Sad, as I've not tried one, but I will say that the maple boards on mine feel amazing.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You do know it's a sickness, rite? Order the 1st one with the morado & the second with a maple. Easy, breezy, Japanesey. :):bassist:

12. Thanks for all your input...I agree with all of you!! That is the weird part...everyone is basically reinforcing my own thoughts...I think that is a good thing though!!! I'm there!! Caramel Burst with Morado it is!! Was thinking of changing the control layout to the Diamond like Ninos...I promise, I'll stop and leave well enough alone...

BTW - Nino the bad part is you are absolutely right!!! I'm ALREADY thinking of a PJ 5 with reverse P and a maple board...GOD HELP ME!!!

Thanks,

Tom

13. bump...

14. Morado just looks very sweet to me, the color, the feel, its great. Saying that, I played nino's maple boarded sadowsky and loved it. My vote is for marado, I don't think the fingerboard is going to hurt a quality bass like sadowsky when it comes to being heard.

15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I think you're just suffering from option anxiety. It's win/win either way.:)

My Sadowsky has a maple board. I bought it many years ago, and my tastes and ears have changed. My latest big purchase was a Lakland Joe Osborne with a rosewood board because I wanted to work with a mellower sound.

As Jeff related earlier, my experience has been that a little creative EQ will equal out the sonic differences to a decent degree.

These days, I reach for the bass with the newest sounding strings, with little concern for fingerboard wood regardless of the styles called for on the gig.

16. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    In my 22 yrs of playing I never have thought I'd like a Maple fb and my basses either have had a Rosewood or Ebony fb. I later purchased a Tobias Classic and then a Warwick Streamer II with a Wenge fb and that turned out to be my favorite. Within the last 9 months I purchased a Roscoe LG 3005 and a F Bass BN 5 with a Maple fb. After getting a lot of playing time with these basses, I have actually liked the Maple fb almost as much as the Wenge. I do prefer a brighter sound and quicker attack that Maple will give you. I would agree with Roger S. that the fb will affect the tone as much as the body wood.

I do agree however with the other posts that you will be happy with either choice. A great bass like the Sadowsky will sound good with either choice. The only problem is that everyone does have a preference and the only way to find out what you like is to try them yourself. If you can't find a Sadowsky, go to a music store and find a high quality bass with a Maple fb and the same model with a Morado. If you have a store around you that sells Modulus, they should have the same model bass with both fb choices.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    what ever you decide, congrats!

:)

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's nice to get input but bottom line, it really needs to be what will appeal to you most. At least in this case most people seem to prefer Morado:). You can't go wrong either way. For some people the look is as important as the sound and vice versa. The fretboard wood does affect the sound IME

Maple does tend to be brighter and tighter sounding. IME that tightness may not be easy to EQ in while getting it naturally is easy. The same is true of Morado's warmth.

If I had a "get a Sadowsky" chip, I'd get a Swamp Ash with Maple neck/board and J pickups for a super 70's Jazz vibe. Of course that has nothing to do with your dilemma;)

Good luck.

19. Thanks for all the comments guys!! Keep em coming!!

Thanks,

T

20. How much do you think it will put you back?

I'd love to get a custom bass, but in my mind, they are way to expensive. Yet I don't even know the prices.