1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I finally did it - to my P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bebi, Nov 20, 2019.

1. It´s perfect, it´s a P

2. What is a P?

3. I trimmed mine

4. My fingers can do the stretch, no problem.

5. I use other basses if I need to go up there

6. I never go over the twelfth fret anyway

7. It´s bass, stay low!

8. carrots

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bebi

bebi Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    My fretless P is a product of love and labour, but not exactly a scratch free looker. It´s my main bass and it sounds great.
    But the heel of the body/neck joint has become increasingly annoying ....every time I stretched up over the twelfth fret it was like the bass said "No No don´t go there" ...even though it sounds really nice up there. So; I cut the neck plate and trimmed down that bulky edge and now its just so nice to play. No more awkward finger twisting and cramped left hand.
    What do you guys think about this? Are you happy with that bulky neck joint?

IMG_20191120_174516.jpg

2. Oh my!

As long as you're happy with it :thumbsup:

Looks like that horn "armpit " could use a little massage though. :eek:

3. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I'd gladly butcher a body to stuff a sidewinder in there and I'd scallop the frets without any hint of hesitation or remorse but mess with the neck joint, I shan't. But hey, if it's stable and works for you, cool.

jamro217 and bebi like this.
  4. Cool mod! I never go up there myself. That’s what guitars are for! :woot:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Dig it! Would love to see more pics of the rest of the bass.

6. Will it make the neck joint unstable? It basically has 3 screws holding it on now.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Uh... I thought there was no money in playing above the 5th fret? You must be rich. :thumbsup:

Aqualung60, SirMjac28, Robus and 11 others like this.
  8. Nicely done, good Sir. You even took the time to bevel the edge of the neck plate and countersink the screw hole. You will probably (and already have) get a response or two about playing high up on the neck and "we are bass players, not guitarists" but ignore them. If we weren't supposed to play up there Leo Fender would have stopped with 12 frets. Years ago I built a Warmoth bass and did something similar with it. It's a no-brainer

9. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Alrighty then. Seems you've found a solution looking for a problem...

10. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Looks kinda similar to the neck joint on the ultra line

11. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    You do you:thumbsup:
    That part of the body could be a sort of roadblock. A strat could benefit from a trim too.

joe vegas, Stumbo, bebi and 1 other person like this.
  12. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ

Not sure what you mean by this. The square neck heel on Fender instruments is extremely uncomfortable and awkward to play around. You often have to reorient the instrument on your body when standing to access the lower strings on the upper frets, which is not exactly conducive to playing. Almost every instrument that has a contoured heel is infinitely easier to play above the 15th fret. Look at the Ibanez SR series neck joint for a much improved design, or Dingwall/F Bass for a recessed solution. You may not play up there, but believe it or not other musicians do.

OP, good on you for making your instrument more playable. Personally I think that all instruments should come with contoured heels, especially with CNC technology being able to make them quickly and precisely.

13. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi bebi :)

As long as you don' t put frets on that bass, everything will be alright!

Your bass told you that?

I think your fingers told you! :D

Wise(b)ass

JRA, Stumbo and bebi like this.
  14. Good for you. I’ve done that and a couple of other variations on bodies I’ve built for myself.

zubrycky, Stumbo and bebi like this.
  15. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Me too... I'd never make a neck join that emulates the Fender join, there are so many better ways to do it... :thumbsup:

Huw Phillips, Novarocker and bebi like this.
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’m all about functional mods that make people happier playing, but I’m definitely in the camp of players who would never find themselves playing more than a note or two in the treble end of things anyway.

bebi likes this.
  17. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Reminds me of the neck transition on my Charvel PRO-MOD DK24 :thumbsup:

upload_2019-11-20_14-57-24.png

18. it's how they are. never stopped me from playing up high or playing fast complex stuff. I learned on one, played one for my first 5.5 years of bass playing (Well, 2 different USA precisions back in the day). Then I moved to ibanez musician and never looked back - neck through joints are 100% wins for me.

But even on guitar when I'm playing showing lead parts, I don't really care too much if it has a big neck joint - thinner is WAY nicer, but you just adapt.

The ibanez neck joint on my old soundgear 300 is really good though - very clever design (taken from the later iterations of their RG guitars).

In an ideal world, I'd have a P that looks like a J and has the neck joint and weight and contours of an ibanez SR and the tone of a Precision. If I wanted a precision and was super rich LoL. Otherwise I'd just take a precision as it is and be happy.

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  19. by the way - those who DID mod their P bass joints - more power to you!

I am all about modding instruments and gear to solve deficiencies.... just go for it.

:)

20. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Uh..... I see four screws, am I having issues with my eyes again... :rollno: