Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finally did it! :-)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lostcausebass, Mar 28, 2003.

1. lostcausebass

lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    I finally defretted my bass. I was really bored one night, and I was feeling a little unfullfilled with the way I was playing and the way I was sounding...I mainly play (esp. at gigs) an Essex Jazz Bass...nothing special but it was my first and only bass. I realized that if I really really hated the way it sounded and played, I could just pick another up for 150...nothing major. I defretted it...it's a lot EASIER than it sounds. The frets came off clean. I sanded the neck a little and got tapewound strings. The transition from frets to no frets was easier than I thought...and at first all I wanted to do was the bawwww-bowwww up and down the neck, but after a bit I tried to play my old favorties...She caught the Katy by the Blues bros and such, and with a little more concentration, it all came off. I suggest that all 2-3 year players, especially ones who the bass is their first musical instrument, should give the fretless a serious try for a few months. It already has strengthened my ear and taught me to think in positions.

Granted, fretless isn't for everyone, but it's really cool for me. I'm still trying to get rid of the remaining sitar effect, but from what I hear, it's comes with the territory.

Good luck, if you want to know more about how the project went, just let me know.:bassist:

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, congrats on taking the plunge. that's a big step. sounds like it went pretty well for you.:)