1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I finally feel better about my playing...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Volunteerk9, Aug 13, 2017 at 12:09 AM.

1. Volunteerk9

Volunteerk9

Oct 20, 2015
    A brief story to bring you up to speed...

I recently auditioned for a band...the singer and I are really good friends. I play with him in another band (Band A) but the band I auditioned for was an earlier project of his before my time. They gave me 5 songs (already knew those because theyre on the list on Band A) I showed up did my thing and even played several more that wasn't on the 5 list. After it was over, everyone was putting their gear in their cars except the drummer. Singer started trying to nail down practice dates with me, more songs to learn , etc when the drummer walked over to talk to the singer in private. I loaded my gear, hopped in the truck and left. Wife called a few moments later to ask how it went. I told her that my money was on the drummer saying 'hey, I know a guy' ...

I get a phone call the next day. They said you did good but the drummer wants the bassist he played with in another band. So, with feelings hurt I tried to convince the singer and myself that it was no big deal.

Since then Ive played with Band A a few times and we killed it. Tonight, singer asks me to come watch Band B play. Of course I still had a huge chip on my shoulder and found myself picking his lines apart. He missed that one, he's in the wrong key there, and he kept tuning his bass non-muted.

So I just figured that I was just being a jackass when my wife spoke up. 'He really sucks' she said. Ok, so my wife has my back. Then another guy that I used to play with came up to me and said 'I don't know what you did that night, but you must have really sucked ass because I've never heard you play anything that bad'

Sorry for the long read. I've always been honest with people....there PLENTY of people better than me. Plenty. But by george, I have finally found one that I am better than and that makes me feel even better.

Wisebass, Oddly, OldBassman and 6 others like this.
  2. Don't sweat it. You just ended up on the outside of some bromance.
    Keep in touch with that band. Eventually the rest of them will override the drummer and will be looking again.

3. Volunteerk9

Volunteerk9

Oct 20, 2015
    And my post last night is why you shouldnt get on Talk Bass when youve had a few and already taken your Ambien. :banghead:

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

All you can do is try your best. Some people don't care. They've got their "good ol' boy" arrangements and that's all that is important to them. As for comparing yourself to others, that's seldom a good thing. Just be the best you that you can be. IOW, I don't have to be better than that other guy. I just have to be better that I was on the previous gig, improving all the time. It's good that someone else noticed the obvious bias and favoritism. Sometimes the most qualified applicant won't get the job. That's the way the world is sometimes. Hang in there. Better luck next time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dlb1001, OldBassman and RSBBass like this.
  5. Love it! Bass guitar is like rugby -always someone better than you. However, you are always better than someone else.
    I hope your bass future is great. Sounds like you are doin it right.

OldBassman likes this.
  6. Volunteerk9

Volunteerk9

Oct 20, 2015
    That's normally the way that I operate and still somewhat embarrassed by the fact that I came on here and posted about it. Chalk another one up for Ambien. I have bought some pretty nice gear after taking it though. Waking up to a 'Your order has shipped' message not remembering what you ordered is a lot like Christmas though.

Oddly, OldBassman and BassCliff like this.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yep, I always regret posting after I've had a few. But we all understand you were venting your frustrations. No harm done. We still love you. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Volunteerk9 likes this.