Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finally finished my first bass. . .

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wolak, Aug 3, 2005.

1. I used a Carvin 5pc. neck (maple/koa) and made it look like a 9pc by adding mahogany strips and wenge veneer. It has a bartolini MM and jazz pickup with a 5.4 preamp. It is finished with danish oil and minwax paste wax. It also has status headless tuners. The top is quilted maple with wenge veneer and a mahogany back.

This was a great learning experience and I am very happy with the results. It sounds great and feels great. A BIG thanks to Tom (tjclem) for use of his thickness sander, for wiring the pickups, his words of wisdom and just being a great and generous guy. I appreciate it more than you can imagine.

Attached Files:

2. .

Attached Files:

3. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    All I can I say is WOW!!!!!!! Excellent job.

4. Great Job!

but don't go and tease us about that neck and then only show us the front! Lets see the back too :D

5. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    ** speechless **

thats beautiful man.. :eek:

6. Nice job no doubt, wow if that's your first I feel very inadequate.:)
    Dirk

7. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Absolutely superb!

8. I sure hope my first turns out as nice as that, lord knows I've been planning it long enough. I finally got the body wood today for a really nice price while getting better than I had been planning beforehand, and I think I'm going to glue up the blanks tomorrow.

Boy that neck looks great, I might have to get one and postpone my planned satine neck through...

9. Ahhh. there we go... :cool:

That's a very tasty combination of styles and influences. I especially like the neck runner approach - If it doesn't suit your needs just right then find a creative way to bend it to your will. :bassist:

10. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    I saw this bass and gasped! Oh! How beautiful!

But then I saw the (not) headstock. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!;) :D
    Seriously though, Beautiful work.

11. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    That puts my carvin neck-through bass to shame......no doubt. Looks absolutely beautiful. NIce attention to detail, even with the back cavity cover. Interesting bridge/no neck choice for a first.

12. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Wow ... absolutely just wow.

That is one beautiful bass, its just gorgeous.

If my bass turns out looking half as good as that I will be happy.

Congratulations on the tremendous build and I love the lines following on on the body, it all just flows.

Still in shock of how much of a beautiful bass that is, wow.

Just keep on :bassist: that thing.

Zet.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    [​IMG]
    OMG that bass is stunning! Excellent work!

Man, I hope my first one turns out 1/10th as good as yours and I'll be happy.

BTW, where did you get that bridge and do you have to use double ball strings?

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me too...

Beautiful!
    :cool:

15. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Wow that thing is beautiful, it looks like a warwick streamer.

i love that quilted top.

The pick-up config is similar to the one i am having in my Rim bass (McDade)

only im going for a Humbucker in the MM position and a Jazz in a further back bridge position.

How does it sound with the J and the MM?

16. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Thats not a warwick shape, its got so much more ellagance than a warwick has easily.

..... though I can see slightly what you mean :p

Zet.

17. Wow! Thanks for the great feedback. I appreciate it. I know the headless isn't for everyone, but I've always wanted a good one. I had a hohner headless and really liked how comfortable and easy it was to tune, plus it never went out of tune. The Status bridge tuners are very smooth.

Kelly Lee,
    The bridge/tuners are from Status Graphite as well as the double ball strings. I could also use regular strings but I would have to buy threaded inserts to tighten down the strings, which can't cost much.

18. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    It is a sweet bass. It looks even better in person. Thanks for letting me help a little on it and for allowing me to use your body design..t