I finally found a band!!! But there is one problem...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, May 10, 2003.

1. Ok, today I went to the Guitar Center to look for a bass teacher. Well I went and played around on the basses and when I was leaving, this guy that talks to me everytime I go into the store asked me if I was interested in talking to a Heavy Metal band that needed a bassist. Now im not really into Heavy Metal but I will play in any band of any style at the moment. He told me there pretty well known and that they may have the chance to goto Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to play. I said sure and he took my name and number and said that when he talks to them again he will tell them to call me.

Well they called about 40 minutes ago and we had a long discussion. They told me about the band, Gigs we will be playing and just general other stuff.

It all sounds great but here is the problem. I am only 17 while the rest of the band ranges from 19-21. They told me that they have steady gigs at a few bars and sometimes the Hard Rock Cafe. Can I get into bars at age 17? I asked them and they werent really sure but said maybe I could get a Working permit and be allowed in. Also, they told me that they have a cd out and are looking to be signed onto another recording company by the end of the year. I don't know anything about the buisness of music but they asked me if I was willing to sign a contract when the time came around and I said sure. Am i going to need a lawyer to read over the contract and such? Thanks for your help guys.

Oh yea the band name is Knights of Tethys and their website ishttp://www.geocities.com/knightsoftethys
  2. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    wow.. hmm dude..

sounds cool!
    Just keep your eyes open thats all. Dont get ripped off or sign your life away just like "that".
    Get a good lawyer.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm not sure what it's like in Colorado but here in PA, you definitely have to be 18 to perform in a club. (I was going to start performing when I was 16, then checked with the State Police and found out I had to be 18. It was a long two year wait) Also here, the PLCB likes to run amok so it makes things even worse. Even when I became of age and began playing bar rooms, clubs owners would often look at me funny and get scared when I told them my age. I always had to tell them that I verified it with the State Police that I can legally perform in their establishment. I suggest contacting the police or your local magistrate to see if you can perform in a bar.

I definitely suggest getting a lawyer before you sign any type of contracts. The recording industry is notorious for screwing over musicians. (Look at Jim Croce)
  4. you cant be serious about getting a lawyer...they'll charge you your left testicle just for them to say its perfectly normal to sign it.

but whatever, just ring the bar your going to perfrom and ask or just slip in carrying a huge amp and then stay in there and just play.

if its places where heavy metal is enjoyed you'd hope the people there wouldn't whine to the cops like little girls
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Many bars around my area let the preformers be below 18, but they can't leave the stage or backstage area at all. Not during breaks, after the set, or even to walk to the stage from the front door.
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If the rest of the band ranges from 19 to 21, the legal age to perform in bars in your state would seem to be no more than 18.

In NC (where I live) You can work/perform in a bar at any age, provided no child labor laws are violated, but you cannot serve or handle alcoholic beverages until the age of 21. You can sweep the floor, etc.

Sign any contract that you like! It's not binding. One must be 21 to be bound by a contract in every state.

Most guys your age would have more problem with parental approval than legal approval but if you can swing it on the home front, I say go for it. It should be good experience.

I agree with you. Heavy metal wouldn't be my first choice in genre, but one does what one has to do in order to work.

Good luck.

7. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    In all he clubs around here (North Alabama) if you walk through the door with a guitar case there is "No questions ask". I have a friend who has been playing in clubs since she was in her late teens. She has never been carded or ask to leave.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    While it's kind of you to be concerned about the age thing, I believe that should be the bands concern, not yours. If it's a good opportunity I'd go with it, small details have a way of working themselves out. If asked by the band if I could get into certain clubs I'd simply state the truth. I don't know. If you can't however get past the the whole thing I'd call one of the clubs you were concerned with and ask them what their policy is regarding people in bands under the legal age. Whatever it is, I can guarantee there's a way around it.

As for the lawyer thing if the band is going to sign contracts of course you absolutely must have a lawyer - but that's another thing that should be the entire bands concern. Hopefully you'll know them well enough by then to trust that you're going into it as a team. If you don't, or if you get some sort of individual contract, then yes - you will need to get your own lawyer. And it MUST be an entertainment lawyer, not any other kind who claims he/she knows a lot about the industry. Things change every day and there's lots of stuff lawyers who aren't in the entertainment field just aren't going to be familiar with. In my experience it isn't too difficult to find proper lawyers willing to lend a helping hand for free. I would just run it by more than one of those before I made any moves.

There's a book called "The Real Deal" (it's a little outdated but still on bookstore shelves). In the back they had a listing of free legal services for artists.

Oh yeah. finally, which i should have actually said first - I would be concerned about learning the material as best I could and getting the gig. again -let all the other stuff fall into place. if it's where you're supposed to be, it'll all work out fine. if it doesn't then you're not meant to be there anyhow and if you believe so - something better is awaiting you. good luck!
  9. Well, tonight was the night I tried out and I'M IN THA BAND!! They didn't have any of there gear at the place we were at so I just played along to a few of there songs on their CD and they told me that I sounded great and was accepted into the band.

Also, they said that later this month we have a few gigs, most notably the HARD ROCK CAFE! I am stoked and I know that im going to have lots of fun with em. Peace.
  10. Congrats man...

I am very envious.

Say...is there material challenging?
  11. Check out there site http://www.geocities.com/knightsoftethys

look in albums section and at the very bottom of the homepage to find a few of their songs and judge for yourself.