1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I FINALLY FOUND MY SOUND!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Apr 23, 2006.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    For the last few years my GK rig has kept me playing and kept me happy. Well now my Guitar Center employee discount has changed everything for me. We had a used David Eden 2x15 XLT. For years I've known how great Eden is and how much it's used among the pros. So without hesitation, I bought the cab (for an insanely low price that I'm not allowed to divulge) and tested it with my band. Plugged in to my GK 2000RB, the Eden made my average sounding MIM Deluxe Jazz sound like a bass well over 2K! I am a new found believer in Eden and will soon be replacing my 4x10 with an XLT. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my GK rig. But it's just not the sound I'm going for. So if anyone else has had an EDEN transformation story please share it with me!

2. That's awesome. It's a great feeling when you finally find your sound .....and can afford it. :D

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Something to consider:

The Eden 15" boxes sound NOTHING like the Eden 10" boxes.

If you like one you may very well not like the other. I had a couple of the 10" and just detested them. The 15" box I still have is one of my favorite 1x15 cabs ever.

IMOHO of course.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like Eden stuff. It is the one setup that I would trade my GK rig for. But, I'd rather add than replace.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    On the other hand, I have a D-115XL, and am embarrassed to admit it. The D-410XLT/XST dominates 15's all day and long into the night.

6. "In My Overly-Humble Opinion"?

:p

7. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I had heard a lot about others saying that the 10's sound different than the 15's. And if that's the case and I'm not big into the 10's, another 2x15 couldn't hurt!!!

8. In most cases a 4x10 will sound louder than a 1x15 just because of physics, its more efficient. It has 4 motors driving more paper than 1 motor driving one big cone(but smaller overall in total surface area). That given I think the 1x15s are great. I picked up an early one with the old logo and no tweet for $120 at a flea market. I didnt have a car at the time so I rode it on my mountain bike to our practice pad! It sounds great! Way better than my smaller Boogie 15". But both together is smooth. They complement each other very well. The Eden is more uh, pillowy and the Mesa is more barky. Some guys I recorded were floored by how much better the bass sounded thru it.

9. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I found my sound on friday night.

Warwick Corvette FNA --> Trace 350SMX --> EA-NL210

Only problem here is volume, my Trace isn't keeping up. So from now on it's gonna be a 60 pound pre-amp, and I'm upgrading to 1900-ish watts.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Cool, I found my sound too....It's in my hands.

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    how much do you think its in your hands? i pride myself on the sound i get with my hands with different basses/setups but you've got a lot of previously owned gear listed?

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yup, I was certainly a gear junky in my past life. Truth is, I was searching for something that I could only learn by practicing.

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    1900 watts? Please tell me you're running directly to the PA after that pre. :eek:

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you're truly happy with your sound...congratulations. Now you better stop visiting TalkBass because someone, at sometime is going to post about something that will change all that!!!:D

I've never played through an Eden 15 but have tried many times to enjoy their 2x10s and 4x10s but just don't like them. I really, really tried...but it isn't going to happen.

15. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    killjoy :spit: ;)

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    :D

17. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Cool, hope you don't mind all these questions...:)
    Like, how much colouration do you like from your rig? Are you trying to get a pretty transparent sound?

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I always liked a warmer sound. Now I'm finding that with less in the signal path I can get more dynamics out of my live rig. The last gig I did with my full rig (Ashdown EVO500II, Bergantino HT112/EX112) I ended up experimenting by using a Seymour Duncun pickup booster pedal for some gain and I just ran my bass into the power section of the Ashdown, completely bypassing the preamp. It was the first time that I felt (other than using a Berg IP cab) that I got my studio sound live. It was a drier sound than I'm used to, indeed, but the dynamic possiblities were much greater than I had experienced before. Any small nuance I made with my hands came out of my speakers. I realized that I could pretty much go through any amp's power section, usually by going into the effects return, and get a great sound. I just sold my Ashdown to get a GK for even better portability. I'm looking forward to trying that out this week. I don't expect much difference from the Ashdown now that I'm just using it's power section. To be fair, I have a 4 band onboard preamp form Audere Audio (www.audereaudio.com). For me this has made it possible to just use a power amp and my bass. I guess that's made the most difference for me gear wise. I will in the future get a SIB Fatdrive to warm up my signal a bit when I want to. It's all trial and error. The truth is though that now I can play through any amp and any decent speaker and sound like me. Actually, it was always like this but now I'm just getting better and attaining my own voice. Good luck man.

19. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi,

yeah, apart from tuning to the room, i've been using much less eq than i used too, just some bottom end from my sadowsky. Just gotta get a quality rig when i can save some money so that its not so coloured. obviously a different bass/sound/tone from what your going with but trying to attain a "studio sound" i guess is the same for both.

I tried my teachers avalon U5 the other day into some monitors, fantastic. not sure i would want that sound for everything, but it was the clearest truest sound.

Funny, i've been looking at the Sib Fatdrive for some tube warmth too but its not easy to get to try out in Australia. People on the effects forum seem to think the Electro Harmonix LPB 2tube preamp is pretty nice, i'm going to look into that for some warmth.

Cheers.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    There's a SIB Fatdrive on Ebay right now that's being sold by someone in Australia. Check it out.